Can New Plants Be Introduced To A Tank At Different Intervals?

SheebShoob

HI all!

My husband and I are getting our first 20 gallon tank soon and we are working out the cost. I would like several different plants and have mostly planned them out, but the cost is quite high for all of them (I was looking to purchase from That Fish Place/That Pet Place in Pennsylvania). I've never used live plants before so this is new territory for me.

My main question is: do I have to add all of the plants into the tank at one time, or can I buy them in intervals and add them as they arrive? Will this disturb the plants already in place or affect the tank negatively? I would be waiting until all plants are in place before adding any fish.

Here are the plants I am interested in, if anyone has any critiques:
Crinum calamistratum
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Marsilea crenata
Hygrophila corymbosa
Pogostemon erectus
Eleocharis acicularis Mini
Rotala macrandra
Alternanthera reineckiI Mini
Staurogyne repens

Coptapia

You can add plants whenever you feel like it.

Carrotman

Plants are like fish (sort of lol) in the sense that you can add them whenever you want as long as parameters (and in the plants case, the lighting) is correct

kallililly1973

You can add as many plants you want at once. Cycled or non-cycled tank.

-Mak-

Whenever works, but planting heavily and completely from the beginning is an important step to algae prevention

Vishaquatics

I'd recommend getting a large majority of the plants at once, as a large plant mass in the initial stages help a lot with algae control down the road. Some of the plants you've mentioned on your list are a bit advanced such as Rotala macrandra. Do you plan on using injected CO2?

SheebShoob

Thanks everyone for the responses, that's exactly what I needed!

@Vishaquatics I will most likely be doing the more advanced plants either later down the road or if more convenient, in another tank all together once we have a little experience with live plants. But yes I would like to invest in CO2.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
EbiAqua
Replies
Views
Inactive User
Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies
Views