3. OP
    OP
    ChuthuluFish

ChuthuluFish Member Member

Ok. Thanks. I was wondering because I’ve heard they need a 20g long

So I could do ten!?

4. K

Kristian Acevedo Member Member

You could, but I would start with 5-6 and just see how it goes. Best not to jump right to 10

5. OP
    OP
    ChuthuluFish

Is that because bio load and aggressive ness check from a platys

6. K

Kristian Acevedo Member Member

Yes, and to evaluate swimming room. better to not cramp them up, and it would also keep you a little room for a small school of cories if you felt like it

7. OP
    OP
    ChuthuluFish

Ok. I don’t think I’ll do any other fish so I can build up my neon school. Might do some shrimp and snail

8. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Your current fish may nibble on the shrimp, you can possibly do ghosts or amanos (be sure to feed them otherwise they may turn on your fish, the amanos that is - a good way to tell ghosts are ghosts is by the red bands on the legs and red dots on the tail, the front claws are shorter than the body length).
    Good snails would be nerite (do not reproduce in fresh water but will lay eggs and bedazzle stuff), mystery (they can reproduce in freshwater, but the clutches are easy to remove and 50% of clutches are duds), and rabbit snails (I don't have as much experience with these guys but some are very nice looking, they are one of my next snails choices).

9. OP
    OP
    ChuthuluFish

Thanks I got my stocking planed now. Including the originals

3 platys
    8-9 neons
    5 gost shrimp.
    2-5 nerite snails

10. Mcasella

Good plan, just remember to add them in increments (and quarantine so nothing passes onto your current platies and causes them to pass away) so you don't overload your filter's bacteria.

11. OP
    OP
    ChuthuluFish

I have a ten gallon that’s going to be my quarantine tank. I was thinking of puting in an old sponge filter and adding mythiline blue. For a week. With water changes every day until there’s no mythiline blue. Then adding melfix for a day?

12. Mcasella

Methylene blue will kill the cycle the filter has, QT is used to see if the fish develops illness then treating. Normally Qt runs at least 4 weeks because some illnesses do not show up until that point (those would be more serious ones, but treating for internal parasites would be a go to to insure it is taken care of before it affects the fish).

13. OP
    OP
    ChuthuluFish

Oh so can I heavily stock the quarantine

14. OP
    OP
    ChuthuluFish

I think I have all the info I need

15. Mcasella

Stock with what you are trying to move, each time you add new fish to the QT you pretty much have to start the QT time over.