can neon tetras,platys and bloodfin tetras tolerate high water temperatures?

Damian19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi.I got ich in my tank because my bloodfin tetra had a white spot on its face and was flashing alot.Now the white spot is gone and he has a white patchy spot on one side next to his gills.Just wanted to know how I can raise my temperature and if platys,neons and bloodfins can tolerate high temperatures.Thanks

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
does the white patch look anything like the stuff in this link: ?

If it does, do not raise the temperature, I have treated both tetras and platys for ich by raising the temperature without any problems, but if the white patch is columnaris, higher temperatures will only make it spread faster

Do you think you could give us the readings on from your tank? How long did you treat for ich and did any other fish get infected?

Damian19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My readings are 0 ammonia,10 nitrate and 0 nitrite.I haven't yet treated for ich and none of my other fish have gotten infected.So right now its just my bloodfin tetra who is flashing and showing symptoms of ich.My neons seem to be doing fine.I also have 1 blue platy that is in quarantine that's doing really good.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Damian,

I have moved this thread to the Freshwater Fish Disease section of the forum.
Thanks!
Ken

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
how long has the fish been showing symptoms and how long ago did the white spots go away? It sounds like it may also be velvet if you are notices a white patch, does it look like mucus is starting to build up on the fish? Do a search on velvet fish disease, and on gill and skin flukes and see if the symptoms match up to either of those. Also do you think you could post a picture of the fish and the white patch? I think that would help diagnose it so you can treat it

Damian19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The fish has been showing symptoms since late last week.At first he was flashing and then this week I noticed this white gash behind his gills.He also had a little white spot on his face and then a few minutes later it disappeared so he just has a white gash behind his gills now.It doesn't really look like mucus to me.Here are the pictures:

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I personally am at a bit of a loss, I can't tell much by the pictures, but if its not fish fungus, columnaris, velvet, flukes, or ammonia burns, Idk what else it could be, hopefully someone else can help you with this more than I can.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads