Can Mystery Snails Drown?

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My brother started freaking out and told me to take the snail out because the male was just sitting on her back for a long time and she looked like she was struggling to turn back over. They weren't mating, he was just sitting there. One had eggs last night, not sure if it was her or another, but do they need to be put in a different tank after having eggs to gain strength or does it matter? He's worried she's going to die because the other snail/snails hang on her.

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mystery Snails have a gill, so can breathe underwater. Although, they also have a siphon which they stick out through the top of the water to breathe air. So they won't drown. They can get themselves into some awkward spots sometimes, so as long as they are eating, their foot is healthy and their shells are in good condition, they should be fine

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They cannot drown. Mystery snails will climb to the top for air, or quickly float to the surface using their floating technique.

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay thanks lol. Now he can go to sleep and stop bugging me. He's like an over protective mom. Haha.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom