Can my TV stand support a 20 gallon tank?

Green

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a TV stand that I'm using as aquarium stand for 5 years, supporting a 10 gallon tank. I want to upgrade to a 20 gallon, and wonder if the same stand could support twice of the current weight.

Please see below for actual pictures. The back panel is made of cardboard, the rest is made out of composite wood I believe.

Your help is appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 29 gallon on a stand that's like that. Different design but I'd say about the same construction

jpm995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Should be ok if you put the tank on top not on the shelf. Keep in mind if the 'fake wood' gets wet it deteriotes and will lose strength.

MacZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You might want to put wood blocks on the floor under the corners, so the weight gets distributed better. Otherwise, keep an eye on the top board. If it starts to bend under the weight, get two pieces of wood as braces. they should be exactly the hight and depth of the compartments and about 1-2'' wide. Had to do the same with mx stand, just to make sure nothing can happen.

Green

Reaction score
MacZ said:
You might want to put wood blocks on the floor under the corners, so the weight gets distributed better. Otherwise, keep an eye on the top board. If it starts to bend under the weight, get two pieces of wood as braces. they should be exactly the hight and depth of the compartments and about 1-2'' wide. Had to do the same with mx stand, just to make sure nothing can happen.
Hi MacZ, do you think you could share a photo of the braces? I'd like to do the same, thank you!

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Does your tv weight 200-250 lbs if not then no. Was this made for an glass flat panel tv or was this TV stand made for a new thin flat panel tv. If it’s a new flat panel TV I say no. Many people will say yes and you very well might get away with it but it’s not worth it in my opinion.

MacZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Green said:
Hi MacZ, do you think you could share a photo of the braces? I'd like to do the same, thank you!
20191215_115329.jpg

Simple as that. This one sticks out in front because I made a mistake with the measurements, but it doesn't matter much.

On the second pic you see the complete configuration. I will get a new stand next year, this one I got from the... you likely not know that where your from, haven't heard of this outside german-speaking countries. The city waste management has one day each month when they collect old furniture, dish washers, TV sets etc. All the bulky stuff you're not supposed to put in the normal trash. I was on my way home when I saw this stand beside the street, it had working wheels, so I hauled it home and asked a friend to help get it up the stairs.

20191215_120314.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom