Can my tropical fish eat goldfish food?

1. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I have a few bags of goldfish food leftover. I was wondering if my community fish can eat it? They are just pellets. Will it we be safe for them? If not I will just keep the food and maybe feed the fish near my lake. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Boeing250

Boeing250 Well Known Member Member

I think that would be fine,I feed goldfish food to my tetras, minnows,platy's,and,guppy's and,they seem to like it and,it does not hurt them.

3. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

Okay thank you, I have the same fish so I hope the will like it. I just didn't want the goldfish food to go to waste. Thanks

4. lala29

lala29 Well Known Member Member

I have goldfish in with tropical fish and they all much on the same food :) although the neon tetras dont like the sinking goldfish pellets i have :p

5. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

The main difference is just protein levels, since goldfish food is primarily plant matter and tropical food has fish protein also. If you also feed some good protein food like bloodworms that should balance out the diet.

The only other problem you might have (depending on the size of your fish) would be if the pellets are too big for them to eat. Watch them when you first feed it to make sure they can all eat the pellets.

6. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

Thank you, I do balance their diets by giving them some protein and different foods