Can my Honey gourami regrow a ripped off dorsal fin? Help :'(

Fae

Reactions
Experience
Just started
I feel so awful, my Honey gourami was stuck in a decoration and freaking out so I tried to help her out, and in the process I ripped her dorsal fin off (or maybe that's not what it's called, the fin she used to stay up right like a paddle with one on the left and one on the right.)

I quickly put her in a 2 gallon hospital tank with clean water and methyblu, res-q, and I dripped mebromin on her wound. There's also a heater and an airstone on low. She seems stressed out but is attempting to swim.

Is she gonna make it? Will her fin grow back? What do I do :'(

Madchild57

Reactions
Experience
2 years
Fae said:
I feel so awful, my Honey gourami was stuck in a decoration and freaking out so I tried to help her out, and in the process I ripped her dorsal fin off (or maybe that's not what it's called, the fin she used to stay up right like a paddle with one on the left and one on the right.)

I quickly put her in a 2 gallon hospital tank with clean water and methyblu, res-q, and I dripped mebromin on her wound. There's also a heater and an airstone on low. She seems stressed out but is attempting to swim.

Is she gonna make it? Will her fin grow back? What do I do :'(
The majority of fish will regenerate fins, i think the gourami will, it'll just take time

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thats so sad to hear, you must be so stressed right now. Thats the best that you can do tbh, add as many plants as you can too, floaters are great and other plants that she can rest on or in are helpful too just try and give her a perfect environment for the best chance of recovery or so that at least she feels a little more comfortable

OP
Fae

Fae

Reactions
Experience
Just started
Madchild57 said:
The majority of fish will regenerate fins, i think the gourami will, it'll just take time
Thank you, do you know if they can regenerate fins even when the whole bone is missing? Picture like your whole arm ripped off vs just flesh (sorry don't actually picture that D: )

SnookusFish said:
Thats so sad to hear, you must be so stressed right now. Thats the best that you can do tbh, add as many plants as you can too, floaters are great and other plants that she can rest on or in are helpful too just try and give her a perfect environment for the best chance of recovery or so that at least she feels a little more comfortable
Thank you, I was so worried that she'd die from stress right away but she seems to have settled down now. For the most part she's even up right, so that's a good sign I hope.

I've got her in the methyblu right now, and probably will for a couple days since it's a pretty bad wound. I don't want it to get infected :/ so I'm hesitant to add plants, as they can carry pathogens. Hopefully some fake ones will help her feel more comfortable at least. Once the wound closes over, do you think I should add her back to the main tank or keep her separated for a while? I don't want her to feel too lonely

Mii

Reactions
Experience
1 year
Can you show a picture? Also make sure that if you get fake plants use silk not plastic plants as they can be kinda sharp.

OP
Fae

Fae

Reactions
Experience
Just started
Mii said:
Can you show a picture? Also make sure that if you get fake plants use silk not plastic plants as they can be kinda sharp.
It was hard to get pics, but good news! It appears she didn't lose her fin after all! I didn't want to disturb her last night by putting her in a clear container (hospital tank is a cloudy Tupperware type thing), and she wasnt using one fin, but today she was so I checked her out in a glass bowl and she has two fins after all!
2f039fa8c3e2841838354e9e3b5da5a6.0.jpg
2463996c68d41027566545c95209fc16.0.jpg

However I'm still a bit concerned because she is very very pale, and has some kinda bad wounds.

You can see in the first pic where her scales were scraped off (it's like that on both sides). In the second pic, where she's red and gauged on the bottom is also not good. I'm worried that one could easily get infected. Her feelers aren't in the best shape either, but that's less of a concern.

Any advice on what to do? I'm thinking 100% WC and keep her in methyblu, OR get a filter going in her hospital tank and add bettamax for one treatment cycle. Bettamax is a blend of nitrofurazone, methylene blue, pvp, vitamins, NaCl, sulfas: methazine, diazine, and merazine.

Alternatively, add her back to main tank, but I don't think I should do that until wounds close over.

Mii

Reactions
Experience
1 year
Fae said:
It was hard to get pics, but good news! It appears she didn't lose her fin after all! I didn't want to disturb her last night by putting her in a clear container (hospital tank is a cloudy Tupperware type thing), and she wasnt using one fin, but today she was so I checked her out in a glass bowl and she has two fins after all!
2f039fa8c3e2841838354e9e3b5da5a6.0.jpg
2463996c68d41027566545c95209fc16.0.jpg

However I'm still a bit concerned because she is very very pale, and has some kinda bad wounds.

You can see in the first pic where her scales were scraped off (it's like that on both sides). In the second pic, where she's red and gauged on the bottom is also not good. I'm worried that one could easily get infected. Her feelers aren't in the best shape either, but that's less of a concern.

Any advice on what to do? I'm thinking 100% WC and keep her in methyblu, OR get a filter going in her hospital tank and add bettamax for one treatment cycle. Bettamax is a blend of nitrofurazone, methylene blue, pvp, vitamins, NaCl, sulfas: methazine, diazine, and merazine.

Alternatively, add her back to main tank, but I don't think I should do that until wounds close over.
I honestly don't know what to do. Biggest injury I've had to deal with is a taip getting a little ripped up, but as it wasn't super serious i just moved the fish to another tank so they wouldn't fight anymore, and let him be, as people said i didn't need to medicate for something that small, but yours looks a lot worse. I'd definitely leave her in the hospital tank, honeys prefer to be in a group, but can manage on there own for a little while, and it will stop the spread of potential disease.

erinw347

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
Pectoral fins. And she should be fine. Honestly I wouldn’t overly medicate, you may not even need to QT her.
Last year I took home a cory with all of his fins bitten off and they all grew back. The best thing you can do for her is clean, warm water, and nothing else in the tank for her to get hurt on.
Cory before and after:
1DAC3368-F8DF-4B14-8409-18A963EDD3FB.jpeg
20CA7546-5D07-47D3-837E-B3950FC83CA9.jpeg
03DC08BB-E5FA-4190-9BE5-B913D0D94597.jpeg

Edit: I see she actually has wounds instead of a missing fin. In that case she’ll likely still be fine but you should keep her separate from the main tank. Methylene blue and melafix should be good as preventative meds to keep her from getting an infection. Partial water changes every other day will help too

Mii

Reactions
Experience
1 year
erinw347 said:
Pectoral fins. And she should be fine. Honestly I wouldn’t overly medicate, you may not even need to QT her.
Last year I took home a cory with all of his fins bitten off and they all grew back. The best thing you can do for her is clean, warm water, and nothing else in the tank for her to get hurt on.
Cory before and after:
Your cory is very cute (who am i kidding, ALL corys are cute)

kanzekatores

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
2 years
If she’s swimming fine now she’s probably not in critical condition... that hospital tank is good, though they might feel stressed in an all clear tupperware like that, you might want to tape some black paper on half of it or something, and give them a few decorations.
Physical injuries are something that we can’t do much about :’( Just make sure she has clean water
Also try to feed them by sinking their food in the water: my honey got swim bladder from I taking too much air from eating floating flakes.

OP
Fae

Fae

Reactions
Experience
Just started
erinw347 said:
Cory before and after:

Edit: I see she actually has wounds instead of a missing fin. In that case she’ll likely still be fine but you should keep her separate from the main tank. Methylene blue and melafix should be good as preventative meds to keep her from getting an infection. Partial water changes every other day will help too
Would you recommend those meds over bettamax? I'm hesitant to use melafix as I've had a bad reaction with my betta and I'd imagine as another labrynth fish she'd have the same worries.

kanzekatores said:
If she’s swimming fine now she’s probably not in critical condition... that hospital tank is good, though they might feel stressed in an all clear tupperware like that, you might want to tape some black paper on half of it or something, and give them a few decorations.
Physical injuries are something that we can’t do much about :’( Just make sure she has clean water
Also try to feed them by sinking their food in the water: my honey got swim bladder from I taking too much air from eating floating flakes.
It's relatively dark where she is, and I threw some fake plants in there for now. She hasn't wanted to eat yet, is that to be expected?

erinw347

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
Fae said:
Would you recommend those meds over bettamax? I'm hesitant to use melafix as I've had a bad reaction with my betta and I'd imagine as another labrynth fish she'd have the same worries.

It's relatively dark where she is, and I threw some fake plants in there for now. She hasn't wanted to eat yet, is that to be expected?
I’ve never used Bettamax, but go with what you think is best as melafix does have a bad rep with labyrinth fish.

New Threads