Can my Guppy still be pregnant after aborting eggs?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by LindaMS, Jul 27, 2015.

1. LindaMS

LindaMS Valued Member Member

Hi everyone,

My two guppy girls who were new last Thursday both went into labour and passed eggs with eyes. I found one little fry and quickly moved him that day. The next day I spotted another (smaller) that I thought may have 'hatched' so I moved it too. 24 hours later fry 1 looked bigger and fry 2 was gone - I assume eaten.

The girls are ok again now and seem back to normal, but one in particular still seems to be a bit plumper and still has quite a noticeable dark gravid spot. Can she still have fry that she will have later? Pics of both from yesterday and one of baby Alpha!

after-delivery.jpg alpha-2-days2.jpg

2. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

They could have fry every month for a few months yet. They store sperm.

3. Tiny goatfish

Tiny goatfish Well Known Member Member

Cute fry!

4. a

aquaman86 Valued Member Member

Yes they can, as mentioned they do store sperm and can have fries without a male present.

5. OP
    OP
    LindaMS

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I had read that what I was wondering though is if she could half deliver and already cooked batch? I just noticed her gravid spot after delivery still seemed large - she is the yellow girl in the photo.

6. M

Mike7381 New Member Member

They are live bearer which mean they give birth to fry directly instead of laying eggs, you will have fries every month

7. OP
    OP
    LindaMS

Hi Mike
    I know they do not lay eggs, but one of the eggs did 'hatch' after being dropped prematurely. A fish miscarriage I guess you would say. What I was wondering is if they could drop part of their baby load prematurely and then deliver the rest in a few days or a week. They both appear pregnant again from the stored sperm I assume as they are housed alone with no males.
    Alpha was 2 weeks yesterday. Photo update.

alpha-2-weeks2.jpg

8. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

I dont hik they can do that with. Days in between, but they can havea second batch rather quickly, so it may seem that way.

9. OP
    OP
    LindaMS

Yes I expect it will be in about another two weeks then... as they can have babies in about 28 days I believe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice