Can my Guppy still be pregnant after aborting eggs?

LindaMS

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI everyone,

My two guppy girls who were new last Thursday both went into labour and passed eggs with eyes. I found one little fry and quickly moved him that day. The next day I spotted another (smaller) that I thought may have 'hatched' so I moved it too. 24 hours later fry 1 looked bigger and fry 2 was gone - I assume eaten.

The girls are ok again now and seem back to normal, but one in particular still seems to be a bit plumper and still has quite a noticeable dark gravid spot. Can she still have fry that she will have later? Pics of both from yesterday and one of baby Alpha!

after-delivery.jpgalpha-2-days2.jpg

hampalong

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They could have fry every month for a few months yet. They store sperm.

aquaman86

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes they can, as mentioned they do store sperm and can have fries without a male present.

OP
LindaMS

LindaMS

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI everyone, thanks for the replies. I had read that what I was wondering though is if she could half deliver and already cooked batch? I just noticed her gravid spot after delivery still seemed large - she is the yellow girl in the photo.

OP
LindaMS

LindaMS

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI Mike
I know they do not lay eggs, but one of the eggs did 'hatch' after being dropped prematurely. A fish miscarriage I guess you would say. What I was wondering is if they could drop part of their baby load prematurely and then deliver the rest in a few days or a week. They both appear pregnant again from the stored sperm I assume as they are housed alone with no males.
Alpha was 2 weeks yesterday. Photo update.

alpha-2-weeks2.jpg

Plecomaker

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't hik they can do that with. Days in between, but they can havea second batch rather quickly, so it may seem that way.

OP
LindaMS

LindaMS

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes I expect it will be in about another two weeks then... as they can have babies in about 28 days I believe.

New Threads