Can My Fish Live On A Human Food Diet?

zsazsa
Just got home from work and fed the fish some grated boiled carrot for the first time (they loved it).
I’m almost out of fish food (pellets and worms) and instead of buying more, can I just feed the fruits, veggies, rice, potatoes etc?

Fanatic
Never even heard or thought of feeding them foods like that, and I certainly wouldn't recommend much more than vegetables for omnivores.
Carnivorous fish cannot live without a meaty diet. Flakes or pellets are usually staples for most fish, adding on frozen or live foods.

FishFish221
It could work, but unless your fish is herbivorous, you will need to be feeding your fish insects on top of fruits and vegetables.

DoubleDutch
It could work, but unless your fish is herbivorous, you will need to be feeding your fish insects on top of fruits and vegetables.
A lot of fruit contains too much of sugar.

Iridium_2256
Plecos and other bottom feeders love zucchinI and lettuce, boiled peas are often used for helping with bloat and digestive problems. Vegetables are okay, but other than that probrably not much. Definetly not rice or potatos, starches break down into large amounts of sugar(to many a dieters dismay), and I would have to agree with Dutch on the fruits.

Seth15
I would personally just feed them fish food. Why risk the chance that some foods may not be good for them?

goldface
You’re not a fish nutritionist. It’s not as simple as just feeding vegetables to herbivorous fish. Nutrition from land plants and aquatic plants aren’t not the same. I also imagine fish in the wild are more likely to come across fruits that have fallen off overhanging trees than vegetables.

JamieXPXP
I wouldnt do it because it is very risky. I would just buy more fishfood which your guaranteed is fish safe and get all of their nutrients plus most of the time fishfood will last you at least a year

Iridium_2256
I feed mysis shrimp flakes to my fish. I've had a half full container for about 6 months now and I'm nowhere near to running out. While it is a good idea to supplement occasionally with some washed romaine, your fish aren't your leftover disposal.

Also, be careful will romaine lately, there's apparently some kind of E.colI outbreak. I'm not sure what it would do to fish, but food poisoning is no fun.

SixThreeOh
I feed my silver dollars fruits, veggies, bird seed, and insects along with pellets.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Littlebudda
Replies
Views
GamerFish
Replies
Views
Chunk101
Replies
Views