Can My Fish Live On A Human Food Diet?

zsazsa

Reaction score
Just got home from work and fed the fish some grated boiled carrot for the first time (they loved it).
I’m almost out of fish food (pellets and worms) and instead of buying more, can I just feed the fruits, veggies, rice, potatoes etc?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Never even heard or thought of feeding them foods like that, and I certainly wouldn't recommend much more than vegetables for omnivores.
Carnivorous fish cannot live without a meaty diet. Flakes or pellets are usually staples for most fish, adding on frozen or live foods.

FishFish221

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It could work, but unless your fish is herbivorous, you will need to be feeding your fish insects on top of fruits and vegetables.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FishFish221 said:
It could work, but unless your fish is herbivorous, you will need to be feeding your fish insects on top of fruits and vegetables.
A lot of fruit contains too much of sugar.

Iridium_2256

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Plecos and other bottom feeders love zucchini and lettuce, boiled peas are often used for helping with bloat and digestive problems. Vegetables are okay, but other than that probrably not much. Definetly not rice or potatos, starches break down into large amounts of sugar(to many a dieters dismay), and i would have to agree with Dutch on the fruits.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You’re not a fish nutritionist. It’s not as simple as just feeding vegetables to herbivorous fish. Nutrition from land plants and aquatic plants aren’t not the same. I also imagine fish in the wild are more likely to come across fruits that have fallen off overhanging trees than vegetables.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i wouldnt do it because it is very risky. i would just buy more fishfood which your guaranteed is fish safe and get all of their nutrients plus most of the time fishfood will last you at least a year

Iridium_2256

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I feed mysis shrimp flakes to my fish. I've had a half full container for about 6 months now and im nowhere near to running out. While it is a good idea to supplement occasionally with some washed romaine, your fish arent your leftover disposal.

Also, be careful will romaine lately, theres apparently some kind of E.coli outbreak. Im not sure what it would do to fish, but food poisoning is no fun.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom