Can my desk support my tanks?

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Reaction score
One’s a 5.5G, and the other is a 10G. Sadly, I have no manual or paperwork for the desk to give me a better understanding, so I figured I’d check with you guys.

I should add, the desk’s condition seems fine to me. It is tightly screwed in where the screws are, and I should add that I have shimmed the desk in case this makes a difference.

If it isn’t, what do you guys suggest?

Attachments

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would say yes, BUT just make sure it does not get wet.
I would also suggest using silicone and sealing up all the seams to help keep water and moisture out.

OP
LadfromLondon

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Reaction score
Dennis57 said:
I would say yes, BUT just make sure it does not get wet.
I would also suggest using silicone and sealing up all the seams to help keep water and moisture out.
Thank you! Do you man ensure the desk doesn’t get too wet? Do you suggest silicone on the inside of the desk where all points join?

Thank you!

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TW2AQUATICS said:
Thank you! Do you man ensure the desk doesn’t get too wet? Do you suggest silicone on the inside of the desk where all points join?

Thank you!
Yes and Yes. If that gets wet overtime it will fall apart.

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would say it depends how tightly it is joined. It probably has the strength to support the weight. But if it is not firmly joined and has a little lateral instability, it might be at risk to collapsing if it gets a bump.

I have a 29 gallon tank on a similarly constructed desk. But it is made of plywood rather than particleboard. And it is not joined with IKEA style fasteners. It is built with more permanent fasteners. I am concerned about the stability so I am planning to build a stronger stand. In the meantime, I am careful not to bump it.

[edit]

Might also want to get the powerstrip up off the floor. That can be a risk if you spill some water doing a water change.

OP
LadfromLondon

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Reaction score
Sorg67 said:
I would say it depends how tightly it is joined. It probably has the strength to support the weight. But if it is not firmly joined and has a little lateral instability, it might be at risk to collapsing if it gets a bump.

I have a 29 gallon tank on a similarly constructed desk. But it is made of plywood rather than particleboard. And it is not joined with IKEA style fasteners. It is built with more permanent fasteners. I am concerned about the stability so I am planning to build a stronger stand. In the meantime, I am careful not to bump it.
I’m thinking of moving the tanks closer to the edge of the desk, so the weight is more evenly distributed. In terms of bumps, I’d like to say they occurred very rarely. I don’t use the desk unless I’m doing tank maintenance/planting etc.

Do you think screwing tighter and siliconing the desk during a water change will help?

Thank you :)

HarrisonWells

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’d echo the sentiments expressed thus far. It will probably be fine, though I’d personally reinforce it a bit. I’m currently building a stand, and I tend to over-build/over-engineer anyhow.

I mainly wanted to comment on the sweet
millennium falcon in the 5.5. Nice .

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Anything that reduces wobble will help. I would bet that the structure has plenty of strength to support the static weight applied directly down. But if there is wobble the loads are increased and the structural integrity is decreased.

[edit]

The board in the back can provide significant stability if it is joined solidly.

OP
LadfromLondon

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Reaction score
HarrisonWells said:
I’d echo the sentiments expressed thus far. It will probably be fine, though I’d personally reinforce it a bit. I’m currently building a stand, and I tend to over-build/over-engineer anyhow.

I mainly wanted to comment on the sweet
millennium falcon in the 5.5. Nice .
Haha thank you! I just moved most my things intl the 5.5G from the 10, so that’s getting a rebuild!

OP
LadfromLondon

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Reaction score
Sorg67 said:
Anything that reduces wobble will help. I would bet that the structure has plenty of strength to support the static weight applied directly down. But if there is wobble the loads are increased and the structural integrity is decreased.

[edit]

The board in the back can provide significant stability if it is joined solidly.
If I got rid of the shims, the tank would be completely sat on the carpet/floor. Should I get rid of the shims? An uneven tank is not too much cause of concern for me, as I have mats underneath both tanks.

I will probably silicone the back board to reinforce and move the tanks back-Thanks!

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe you can get a 2x4 to put under the desk in the middle to give it more support?

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
TW2AQUATICS said:
I can do! Should I get just one?
I think that will be fine. I'd just cut it to the right length and use it as like a leg in the middle. 2x4s can support something like 200lbs each so just one would work fine.

OP
LadfromLondon

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Reaction score
Mike1995 said:
I think that will be fine. I'd just cut it to the right length and use it as like a leg in the middle. 2x4s can support something like 200lbs each so just one would work fine.
Thank you! :) Do you have any links/companies you can recommend to buy from? I’ve had a quick search and I’m finding 4x2, unless I’m stupid and this is the same...

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TW2AQUATICS said:
Thank you! :) Do you have any links/companies you can recommend to buy from? I’ve had a quick search and I’m finding 4x2, unless I’m stupid and this is the same...
Do you have a Lowe's, Home Depot or a lumber yard near you?

You can measure the piece of 2x4 you need and they will cut it for you if you want.

OP
LadfromLondon

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Reaction score
Dennis57 said:
Do you have a Lowe's, Home Depot or a lumber yard near you?

You can measure the piece of 2x4 you need and they will cut it for you if you want.
Ah hot to worry! I’m in London so unfortunately not, thank you anyway! :)

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
TW2AQUATICS said:

Ah I see. Is it saying it's in centimeters or inches? I saw you're from London. What we call a 2x4 goes by inches. Not sure what it is in the metric system

OP
LadfromLondon

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Reaction score
Mike1995 said:
Ah I see. Is it saying it's in centimeters or inches? I saw you're from London. What we call a 2x4 goes by inches. Not sure what it is in the metric system
I’m pretty sure it’s also inches. I shall look into it!

New Threads