Can My Cracked Tank Be Repaired? Help!

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So I have a 40 breeder that's been sitting empty for a while because the bottom panel is cracked in two pieces. If it were not for the silicone on the sides I would have 2 pieces of glass.
The tank is still whole though.
What I'm asking is can I repair this crack by covering it with lots of AQ Safe Silicone or do I need to get the whole thing replaced by a professional?
Would another option be to silicone a piece of acrylic over the bottom panel to cover it?

Thanks

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Protim Sarkar said:
You can cover the crack portion by two glass both up and down of the crack with silicone glue. I bet it will help.
Thanks but I not sure I quite understand "by two glass both up and down of the crack"
Do you mean I should run silicone between the 2 cracked panels?

Protim Sarkar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Braydens Bettas said:
Thanks but I not sure I quite understand "by two glass both up and down of the crack"
Do you mean I should run silicone between the 2 cracked panels?
Yes, one in the tank and the other outside of the tank.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Maybe a picture would help?! It’s one thing if it is a small crack, but what I am picturing is quite large. I don’t know if you can repair such a thing and it be safe.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could also replace the glass completely. Have a piece cut and then silicone it in. Not sure how much it would cost, however. It might be cheaper (if you are wanting to use it), to watch for one to come up for sale used or wait for a Petco sale. They usually will have them for half price if they aren't included in the $1 sale.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom