Can My Betta Have Tank Mates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have 3 bettas and the one I thought was the most aggressive is in a 5.5 g and I added a large ghost shrimp that is almost his size to see what he would do. He totally ignores it and will swim right next to it much to my surprise. Does this mean he could possibly be put with other fish in a bigger tank? He flairs his gills at other bettas and me sometimes (he is rude). He even jumped a barrier I put in a 10g to get at another bettas so I figured I’d always have to keep him alone.

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It’s a tricky question. Some bettas get along perfectly in community tanks and others don’t. I had a very peaceful betta a while back who, at different points in his life, lived with fancy goldfish, plecos, frogs, and guppies, and was always very laid-back and never had an issue. But I also had a very aggressive betta that I tried to introduce to a huge (55 gallon) tank, and even though he had plenty of space he still attacked everything. I’d say you could try it, but have a backup tank to relocate him to if things go bad.

Mike1995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
my betta lives very peacefully with a single male guppy and three pygmy cories. I actually removed the guppy at one point in fear my betta would attack him since they both have long flowy fins. He seemed very upset after so i put the guppy back and since then, they've been very happy and peaceful with eachother. I guess it all depends on each individual fish.

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
my betta lives very peacefully with a single male guppy and three pygmy cories. I actually removed the guppy at one point in fear my betta would attack him since they both have long flowy fins. He seemed very upset after so i put the guppy back and since then, they've been very happy and peaceful with eachother. I guess it all depends on each individual fish.
My one betta was very upset when I removed a fish from his tank too - glad I’m not the only one with a weird betta!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom