Can my Angelfish be alone.

1. B

Bigzsbettas New Member Member

I am starting a 55 gallon community tropical tank in a month. (I'm planning now) But I want it stocked with a school of larger tetras a couple plecos and a couple Dwarf Gouraimis and Angelfish. I want two angels but I can't have breeding so will 1 Angel do well in a community tank without a partner?And I really want to know the difference between male and female Angelfish so maybe I just can put a male and male or female and female together to prevent breeding. I won't have the Angels for a month after I setup the tank because I must cycle it. It will have hiding spots and lots of good realistic artificial plants.

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

You sure can have an angel alone! As for telling the gender, there are clues when they're mature but no certainties unless you see them breed. I have a couple of angels (each alone in its own tank) and gender has been tentatively identified here but I am beginning to think one of them is not what he appeared to be:)

3. OP
    OP
    B

Thank you that was a big help! I love the community on FL! I'm getting one Angel then!

4. Aquaphobia

You're welcome:)

5. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I had a community tank ( 36 gallon ) with one angel ( she was 2.5 - 3 months old ) when I got her from a breeder. We had Zebra danios, Neons, catfish and pleco's in the 36 gallon. She was introduced to the tank AFTER it had been established for about 2 years. She lived happily in that tank and when she was about 2 years old, I got a 72 gallon, same fish and put all of them in there. She had been the only angel and was very docile.

Something snapped in her when I put them all in the 72 gallon! I don't know if she thought the tank was hers and hers alone but she immediately started going after all of my fish! She was vicious and I had never seen that aggression from her.

After losing about 10-15 fish in a few weeks time, I decided to rehome her.

My conclusion was that she was perfectly happy with her previous arrangement and when she moved to a new home, figured it was HER territory.

Sad that I had to give her up but she wasn't going to change :(

So with that says, I think its best to put a young angel in an already established environment rather than have the angel in first.

6. Aquaphobia

That's so sad Junne! Aggression is definitely something to watch for in Angels though I think I've been lucky with Eddy (and Colin for that matter) in that they've never given any trouble. I've even added fish to Eddy's tank long after and still no aggression. However, Eddy was young when I got him and as he's matured I'm starting to see some tetchiness. He's less tolerant of fish in his space. I also have reason to suspect he may be a female after all though I don't know if that would have anything to do with his change in behaviour.

Certainly has something to do with mine...:p

7. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I strongly recommend keeping Angels singly. For me a single Angel is virtually an essential community tank fish.

A pair will breed, two of the same sex may also attempt to breed. In either case there are often territory and aggression problems which are best avoided unless your aim is to raise fry.

8. SuzanaBanana

SuzanaBanana Valued Member Member

Gay & Lesbian Angelfish, an interesting thought lol

9. Aquaphobia

10. OP
    OP
    B

Lol this thread. I'm going to get one Angel and (thanks to Junne) I will set up the rest of fish before I acclimate the Angel and put it in.