can Mollys breed with diff color mollies?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by kuba1992, Mar 21, 2010.

1. k

kuba1992 Valued Member Member

hey everyone can a brown molly breed with an white molly? or swordtail and guppy or vise virsa? thanks alot in advance

2. benjaminBreaker

benjaminBreaker Valued Member Member

Of course a brown molly can breed with a white, or most likely a silver, molly. Since they are both mollies, the offspring may even be able to reproduce as well! :D That sounds like it would be an interesting hybrid!
    However, if you breed different species, such as platies and mollies, the offspring may be infertile.

I think I even read once that most breeds of molly were made by crossbreeding. :eek: Awesome... ;D

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    k

can molly breed with diff color mollies?

hey everyone can a brown molly breed with an white molly? or swordtail and guppy or vise virsa? thanks alot in advance

4. OP
    OP
    k

thanks alot. and also how long does it take untill i notice a growth in the fry?

5. benjaminBreaker

If they don't end up getting eaten eventually, it should take them a month, at least, before they get big enough to start taking care of themselves. But if you feed them well, and take care of them, they should grow big quickly. I would say a week or two.

6. benjaminBreaker

Here, I made this blog just today! It has some excellent info about breeding livebearers!

7. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Different colored mollies can breed, yes, since they are just color variations on the same species. There have been instances of guppies cross breeding with platies (I think it's platies), but the resulting fry are sterile and generally don't live long. Different colored platies can breed (I have a parrot male with three different colored females and they're always at it). Different colored guppies can breed. Different colored swords can breed. I believe that swords and platies can breed as well since they're variations on similar specie (I have a friend whose red velvet sword bred with his blue wag platy and he just had a batch of fry from them).

8. OP
    OP
    k

alright and ok thanks alot man

9. benjaminBreaker

No problem, I'm here to help. But let me also mention, if you have a separate tank or something lined up for the fry, I do suggest putting them in there anyway.
    Idk why your fish won't eat the fry now, but if they get hungry, they might decide to take a bite. :eek:

10. OP
    OP
    k

Ya ok thanks. I got a 10 gallon for the fry but no heater just a filter. Do the fry need a heater?

11. benjaminBreaker

Oooh yes. A unheated tank could mean certain death for fry. They are very sensitive to their environments, so it's crucial that you take every necessary step and precaution seriously.

12. OP
    OP
    k

Oh ok. Thank you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice