Can Mollies and Platys breed with different strains?

lyndatu
Hello

We decided to change our guppy tank into a livebearer tank. I'm pretty excited for my upcoming livebearers to breed(except guppies because they don't sell female guppies here in the Philippines). I'm a little scared on getting swordtails because I heard they can be quite tough(I had 2 swordtails before and they killed 4 of my fishes and then each other). I think I'll skip swordtails.......although they look very good.....

I heard there are a lot of strains of mollies and platys, like the dalmation platy and the sailfin molly. The LFS is overflowing with platys and mollies, their tanks often filled with lots of fry. Perfect! There are a lot of wonderful strains to choose from, but, will platys and mollies breed with other of their strains? Like, will an Orange platy breed with a Mickey Mouse platy? Or a black molly with a Lyretail?

Oh, and do you know a site that is all about platys or mollies? I found a site for guppies(Guppies.com) but can't seem to find platys or mollies.

Thanks in advance!

Alasse
Platys will certainly breed with platy, they do not differentiate between types...I have 2 lots of fry to prove it *L*

I'm pretty sure mollies are the same...but not much experience with them myself

lyndatu
Thanks! So platys and mollies can't tell strains apart.......

optional: do you have pics of the fry? I like fry pics.......

Alasse
I'll try to get some clear pics of the fry tomorrow for you

Chief_waterchanger
The only strains that won't breed: The long-finned male platies and long-finned male mollies often times get such a long gonopodium that they are rendered unable to breed with the females. So longfinned females are usually bred back with normal-finned males to get half the offspring longfinned.

Other than that the platies should breed with other platies and mollies should breed with other mollies.

lyndatu
Thanks again! Got myself a pair of black mollies. Although I asked for 2 females, I got a male and a female.........the female looks quite fat. I wonder what that means....?

Oh, and, for example, I let a black molly and a balloon molly breed. What fry will they produce?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the pics! I'm sure they're awesome.

Chief_waterchanger
As far as most things go you can use the Punnent Square.

Your balloon molly is Br (B= balloon r=regular) Capital letters = dominate lower case = recessive

Your black molly is probably Rr (unless he is the result of a balloon molly and regular breeding, but assume he is an Rr)

So 50% should be balloon and 50% should be regular, or close to 50% on each. (Dino could correct me if I did that wrong, but I think it is correct.)

Just so you know, balloon mollies have a stigma attached, and I agree with it. They are bred to be hunch-backed and squished down in length, that compresses their organs and has to cause constant back pain, but I have no proof of that, just so you know in the future. (Whether you agree with that or not is up to you.)

Edit: Sorry, tried to enter the punnent square and it wouldn't work out properly, will try to get a pic of one up this evening.

lyndatu
Yello

We have some trouble choosing which molly to get. We're planning to get 3. But which do you like better: Black Molly or Balloon Molly? We think black mollies are a bit scary but cheap fish, and we think balloon mollies are pretty nice but having trouble with sexing, a little bit expensive and can be found in a far pet shop. Which is which? Your opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

capekate
Good morning Lyndatu
I guess it comes down to preference over balloon or black Mollies. Personally, I love the black mollies. I think they look very striking in a community tank. I would love to have them myself, but the PH is too low for them here. I am always drawn to that tank at the LFS.

Some folks like the balloon shape in tropical fish, I personally do not so would never go with Balloon mollies for that reason. Besides... are the balloon mollies genetically altered to look that way? :-\

gooooooooooooo with Black Mollies..... ( subliminal message lol...)

~ kate

bert2001
I agree, baloon mollies are not natural and from what I have read have problems swimming correctly. I would go with the black. Just pay close attention to water quality. If anything goes wrong they will be the first to show the symptoms.

Dino
Go with the regular black molly.

petz
Yello

We have some trouble choosing which molly to get. We're planning to get 3. But which do you like better: Black Molly or Balloon Molly? We think black mollies are a bit scary but cheap fish, and we think balloon mollies are pretty nice but having trouble with sexing, a little bit expensive and can be found in a far pet shop. Which is which? Your opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2 black mollies and a balloon mollie

lyndatu
Thanks for the opinions.

Yes, black mollies look great, too. Wanna have something different in my tank. Didn't know balloon-shaped mollies aren't natural, though. Thanks for the info.

I now got 2 black mollies; a male and a female. The female looks pregnant now. The male looks like it has fin rot. Better go help him!

mlinden84
Maybe a little late... but if you decide to get another female... I really like the dalmation mollies. My male is almost all black with a little bit of white, and some BLUE on his tail... very pretty! My female is mostly white with black spots. They add a little more "color" to your tank than the plain black ones.

COBettaCouple
Both are cute fish, but I think the black mollies have a longer life expectancy and can be healthier overall.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
emeraldking
Replies
Views
ThePetPavilion
Replies
Views
Cody
Replies
Views