Question Can male guppies be kept together without any females? ( if so how many?)

Megaanemp

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all,

I am considering getting some guppies soon.
Mostly they will be able to live in a 10 gallon.
However, should I need the 10 gallon to quarantine amother fish, the guppies would be moved to a 5.5 gallon temporarily.
In this situation am I better off just getting one male? Or could I do 3 males, do I risk them fighting each other?
I doubt they would ever be in the 5.5 gallon for more than a few weeks maximum.

Thanks for any advice I have never kept guppies!

Best Answer - View Megaanemp's answer

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you kept up on water changes four males could work :), just watch the parameters when they’re in the 5g

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
3 should be fine, you could do 5-6 in a 10g but since they may be moved to a 5.5 every now and then I think 3 would be the best bet. As for any aggression, it normally isn’t a major issue but if you have decor/plants to break lines of sight it should curb any that may arise.

OP
Megaanemp

Megaanemp

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I’ll go with 3 males. I am very diligent with my water testing and changes so I’m sure they’ll be ok:)

barbiespoodle

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my experience, male guppies don't fight with each other. Recently gave 3 male guppies to a co worker because he didn't want babies and they are doing great, all just peacefully swimming around and looking beautiful. The males will compete with each other over a female, but they don't go after each other, it's more a matter of who's the fastest to get to the female. I have tons of guppies now, they really are very prolific, and I find them basically peaceful fish with each other and other fish.

In short, don't worry about a solely male population. The only thing you need to worry about is that you should have more females than males because if you have too many males compared to females, the males may chase the female to the point she get too harassed by the males attention .

OP
Megaanemp

Megaanemp

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
barbiespoodle said:
In my experience, male guppies don't fight with each other. Recently gave 3 male guppies to a co worker because he didn't want babies and they are doing great, all just peacefully swimming around and looking beautiful. The males will compete with each other over a female, but they don't go after each other, it's more a matter of who's the fastest to get to the female. I have tons of guppies now, they really are very prolific, and I find them basically peaceful fish with each other and other fish.

In short, don't worry about a solely male population. The only thing you need to worry about is that you should have more females than males because if you have too many males compared to females, the males may chase the female to the point she get too harassed by the males attention .
Thats good to know! thanks for the detailed reply. Im pretty sure I will be getting 3 males. Definitely no females :)

New Threads