Can local plants be used in Aquarium?

1. sheenalee Member Member

Hello,
    I was wondering if local plants found in water would be able to survive in a home aquarium?

Thanks!

2. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

It would depend on the plant, I think you would have more trouble in a tropical tank because of your climate and what is growing in your water naturally. Just my guess. I live in Fla so the plants around me are sub tropical anyway as I live in zone 10A. Alison

3. sheenalee Member Member

Went and collected two different varieties.

If someone could help me ID them!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty sure the second
    one is an arrowhead

4. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

It sure wouldn't hurt to try. They look healthy whatever they are. Alison

5. sheenalee Member Member

Update:
    Finally got some bleach and sanitized the plants. Planted them 2 days ago. And they are growing already! I'm just worries that they might not be plants that are meant to be fully underwater. How would I find out if they are or not?

2 days ago:
    [​IMG]

Today:
    [​IMG]

New growth:
    [​IMG]

Close up of leaves:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

You might normally get some melting of the older leaves, how ever if it can't grow in water the worst that will happen is it will rot after a while. Do you have pickerel weed up there which has a purple flower. I just wonder if that one with arrow shaped leaf is pickerel weed. As long as you are seeing new growth than they should be fine. Alison

7. sheenalee Member Member

Figured out the first one is called Northern water plantain (Alisma triviale)

8. sheenalee Member Member

This is a weird question but what does it look like when a plant is rotting opposed to just getting old and dying/melting

9. PlantedTanks Member Member

You probably won't find much in manitoba because it freezes everything out in the winter. Out here in BC I've found water lillies, jungle val, baby tears, parrots feather, duckweed, some type of cabomba, hornwort, etc. Just remember that some plants do grow well underwater. If you found them in a marshy area, expect the main leaves to melt off. And make sure to pull them off once you get a few new submerged leaves so the plant isn't wasting energy trying to keep those original leaves alive.

10. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

This makes me want to go plant hunting!

11. Shrimper Initiate Member

how do you ready a plant you find in the wild to be placed in an aquarium. Plant hunting sounds fun

12. sheenalee Member Member

It's lots of fun! And very dirty, I end up just going bare foot, you end of sinking into mud. I suggest bring shoes you don't care about and( clothes) towels, zip lock bags (for the plants) water (to wash your feet).

This is what I do, when I go collect the plants I make sure to grab as much of the root system as possible. I swish the plant in the pond water to remove excess mud/dirt etc. When I get home I pluck/cut off any bad leaves or stems. Then I wash them under running tap water to remove further mud. Followed by a dunk in 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. Followed by sitting in declorinated water. I let them sit in there for about 2 hours then into the tank they go. :)

Also note that the arrow leave plant didn't make it. Just melted away. The other plants are doing great! Went and got more and trying some cattail as well .

13. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

just make sure you dont take any protected plant species.

you might consider scooping up the natural substrate to see what its making a living on

14. sheenalee Member Member

Lol its slim pickings up here in Manitoba so I have three plants to choose from I made sure to check though.

Goes from crazy cold in winter (-40C) to crazy hot (+30C) in summer so plants don't to we'll if their bot native ones of the area)

15. Skyy2112 Member Member

Get this, i got some plants from a lake and moved them into my tank. Their growth is awesome. Biggest issue, they dont stop growing!

If it was found fully submerged, 99.9% good to go in water. Honestly, if its not, it may grow tall enough to reach the surface anyways before rot.

16. sheenalee Member Member

Update: new growth rotted away. Guess I'll have to go buy some plants

17. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

dont sweat it, even when something seems easy to keep, keep in mind some natural things are hard to replicate.
    Some of the wild flowers and things around us survive by things like wind, hard to replicate that kind of thing. they may even benfit from tiny organisms that arent in your tank and you may not want :)