Can Java Moss grow through mesh?

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have moss sandwiched between mesh like I a saw on a mesh wall guide. Its tied together with fishing wire, but it looks like it would be hard for the moss to grow through.

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How fine of a mesh? I use 1/4" for similar applications.

angelou

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
absotutalootlee.

a slightly larger mess will see faster results, but it can worm its way through pretty tight holes.

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A slightly larger mess will make my moss grow faster! No more pwcs!!!!!!! I'm sorry I couldn't resist.

chevyguy8893

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mine is growing just fine through stitch point canvas which has fairly small holes. Nothing special done other than using a small butane torch to melt the edges together after spreading the java mos around. It grew through pretty quick, but it is taking a while to fill, which was expected.

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Will the moss packed in deep that doesn't get light eventually brown and rot? Especially if it starts growing out?

Lunas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I made more of a bush out of mine I did not even tie it just sandwitched it left some rocks on 4 points to hold it down then about a month later it had grown through enough I seperated the mesh and it stayed in the top piece the inside was a little brown but after I seperated the mesh it greened back up

chevyguy8893

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BigOlePappy said:
Will the moss packed in deep that doesn't get light eventually brown and rot? Especially if it starts growing out?
If it is packed in too heavily then it will not get enough light to to lower layers. Like shown in the DIY link aquarist48 posted, the moss is layered pretty thin. Basically there is little overlap while filling in the spaces as best as possible. Here's the one that I put together showing the growth almost two weeks after making it https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/my-diy-java-moss-wall.127010/. There is more now, so I should probably update it with some new pictures.

As for when it grows out, if you don't trim it when it gets really thick then there may be growth problems. I have thought about angling the bottom out some to even out the lighting to the moss on the lower part.

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How long without it growing through the mesh should I be concerned? I want to check it at some point to make sure it isn't rotting.

chevyguy8893

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BigOlePappy said:
How long without it growing through the mesh should I be concerned? I want to check it at some point to make sure it isn't rotting.
From the right angle you can see the coloring of the moss in the mesh to see if it turns brown. As for how long, it will depend on you lighting and the available fertilizers. Under low light with no fertilization java moss grows pretty slow. On mine, it is under moderate to high light from a dual T5HO fixture (currently only one bulb to battle algae) and it gets liquid fertilizers, so the growth is a bit faster.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom