Can Introducing Shrimp That Competes With Mts For Food Reduce The Mts Population? Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by jz1300, Apr 19, 2019.

1. jz1300

jz1300New MemberMember

I have a MTS problem in my planted aquarium. They seem to be feeding on the dead leaves from the plants. Can shrimps help eat all the dead leaves and starve the MTS to death?

2. CaptainAquatics

CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

If you don’t want MTS go out and get either yoyo loaches (if your tank is big enough) or go out and get assasian snails. Both will kill and eat MTS

3. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

The first thing I would do is prune back all your plants to get rid of the dead and dying leaves feeding your snails. I wouldn't buy one animal to try to take care of an issue with another.

That being said, assassin snails and setting up food traps will probably be your best bet.

4. Morosith

MorosithValued MemberMember

Assassin snails look great and would definitely wipe out your MTS problem. They CAN start breeding and overpopulate on their own but it's a much slower process and easier to prevent.

5. OP
    OP
    jz1300

jz1300New MemberMember

I kinda want shrimps too, just curious if they would help. One assassin snail should get rid of all the snails but after all the snails die i got nothing to feed it

6. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Dont worry about food with snails and shrimp as mentioned above it's the dead leaves that are your problem get rid of the food source reduce the snails, it won't affect you shrimp

7. Morosith

MorosithValued MemberMember

Assassin snails will scavenge like any other snail once the MTS are gone.