Can I Vent?!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tigginjenn, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Tigginjenn

Tigginjenn Valued Member Member

OMG!!! I wanted to call the fish police today SO bad!!! I was at the hospital today, and they had a MAYBE 40 gal tank on display. Stocked with... Ready for this?! 3!! Yes 3 common plecos, a silver dollar, easily 4 in diameter, and like 4, I don't even know, I was too much I shock at this point, but 4ish different LARGE goldfish types!!! Big ones!
    The plecos were all roughly 10 inches long. What?!!!
    Ok. Vent over. Resume your regularly scheduled evening.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Meh...nothing anybody can do about it. If something happens to the fish I'm sure the hospital has plenty of doctors ready to do something.

:D

3. Freshwater-Freshman

Freshwater-Freshman Valued Member Member

It sucks to feel helpless. I had to watch my moms boyfriend cycle a tank with 12 cichlids, (all different kinds) and lose half of them, only to keep getting more. They are my family and I can't even talk to them about it lol forget a hospital

4. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

yeah it sucks when you see something like that and cant do anything about it. it just makes you feel helpless because you want to do something about it but cant. lol you wouldnt believe how often i feel like ranting or venting whenever i go somewhere with a tank of display

5. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

You wonder if the person that did it is charging to do daily large water changes? Like... hospital rates... $30/gallon of tap water...

6. OP
    OP
    Tigginjenn

It's just crazy. I will say, the water LOOKED clean, but..... ugh

7. sloughdog

sloughdog Well Known Member Member

Curious, which hospital (assuming pittsburgh, pa)? Spent a lot of time there at Women’s McGee hospital while my wife went through some treatments. They had an awesome outdoor pond stocked with goldfish but I don’t recall an aquarium.
    You could contact the hospital administration or liaison and ask about the aquarium/offer advice.

8. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

If the tank appears clean and the fish healthy, then I wouldn't concern myself about it. Plenty of people overstock their tanks, including myself.

9. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

Some of the resturants in my area do the same thing. I saw an Arowana in *maybe* a 40, and it was with an OSCAR! But have you ever looked on the boxes of starter kits? Aquaculture has a 20 starter kit that says you can put three oscars in it! WTH!?

10. OP
    OP
    Tigginjenn

It was Allegheny Valley. I'm over it now. Not that I think it's right, by any means, but out of my hands. I'm just gonna focus on mine. Lol.

11. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

In Vietnam I went to a barbershop.

They had the most disgusting tank ever.

It was an in the wall ~20 gallons. It was divided with 3/4 of the tank for a silver arowana and 1/4 of the tank for a flowerhorn.

12. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

:jawdrop: You? I know mine is. Still waiting to get a bigger tank but the more I have to medicate the 29 the more I’m thinking 40 is as big as I want to go. I swear too many folks get fish then don’t want them. Think I’m some kind of shelter!

13. CloudTheFluffy

CloudTheFluffy Valued Member Member

The worst tank of seen/heard of was a fish bowl holding maybe a gallon tops with 3 angelfish and I think one or two goldfish.
    It was a post about how all the angels were gasping and bottom sitting with pictures.

14. Gypsy13

I’d cry. :(

15. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Lol. I do have my limits, but I'd still be a hypocrite if I judged other people's stocking, whether it's improperly stocked, overstocked, or both. I certainly wouldn't put 3 Commons and some goldfish in a 40g myself, but I've seen quite of few tanks like that to know it's possible. I been to both Korea and Japan. People don't live in homes with white picket fences. Most people there live in small apartments, and so fish-keeping standards are much different. I even have family and friends there that keep koi in tanks. Thus, I have a pretty good idea of what can be possible, regardless of how one feels about it.

16. Gypsy13

I just couldn’t imagine one of my sarassa comets in an aquarium. I know they do it. And like you I don’t want to tell people what to do. I just can’t even imagine keeping an aquarium clean with lots of goldfish. I don’t know about others’ fish but mine are super nasty fiends! Love em but they’ve managed to destroy every plant I’ve put in my pond. EXCEPT parrots feather. One plant I can do without.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice