Can i Use this

gavint52

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OK so today i went to the beach and it was a saltwater beach and i picked up alot of shells and driftwood. well i have a freshwater 20 gallon aquarium and was wondering if i could use this stuff in my tank or would it be at harm

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would think if you give it a good cleaning it may be alright but some of the more experienced here may have a different opinion.

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Personally, I would not use any seashells in a freshwater aquarium as the shells might leach calcium or something else that could change your water chemistry. If you would like to use the driftwood, then you should boil it to remove any impurities. And, then let it soak for several days afterward to ensure there is nothing that could mess with your tank.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Gavint and Welcome to Fish Lore.

Sea shells can increase your pH levels depending on how many you add. You can boil them to sterilize them just as you can the driftwood.

Driftwood can lower your pH levels. It also can leak tannins into your water causing the water to turn a tea colored. However, using activated carbon in your filter will remove the tea color.

I think either or both would be ok to add once they've been cleaned. Keep a check on your tank parameters pH levels to be on the safe side.

A couple of links concerning driftwood that you may find helpful.
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/driftwood-notes.41945/

Ken

Beth1965

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I add driftwood and seashells all the time to my freshwater tanks. I boil the shells before putting them in and boil the driftwood several times.
Beth

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom