Can I use this to eventually live rock in my tank?

mangups

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I bought a HOB 2.5 gallon CPR Aquafuge Refugim and for which I will need some live rock and sand.

Sand i am going to pull off my main tank (has 3-4 inches) and would like to main tank to have a 2-3 inches so will move it to the refugim during setup..

Now live rock is something I could buy but am looking to keeping cost down .. can I use the nice porus light grey part in my main tank and move some live rock from the main to the refugim...

the pic you see are concreate with cement and pebbles which are remains of some contruction left over...(see pic) DSC_0247.jpg

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't use it. You don't know what may be absorbed in the rock that could leach back into the tank.

I'd look to take a little LR from your display tank, or buy some base rock, or make your own

Also, 3-4" of sand in your display, whilst not technically a deep sand bed, I'd be cautious digging it up. It's right on the verge of DSB, and you may have a nitrate buildup in the sand that could enter the display if disturbed.

Atomsk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You can use Texas Holey Rock (porous limestone). Many reefers on my local fish club use the stuff and they find it outside. I would assume any nursery or landscaping place would carry the rocks if you decide to go this route.

mangups

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Reply .. well good I asked... but was not sure if I should use it.

I just took some rubble from the tank and added it to the refugim...technically how much live rock should be in the refugim.. should it still be 1.5 times the water volume..

I did move sand from the main display to the refugim...so the main display is now at 2" and the refugim has around 3~4".

Did a water chemistry test - an need to do a water change since Nitrates showed up at 10 ppm.. but so far no issues... Fishes, anemone and zoas look fine..all blooming in glory !!

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Technically, you don't need any rock in your fuge. Many aquarists keep rock in the fuge to help anchor macro algaes.

Another school of thought is that by running more rock in the fuge, you can reduce how much is in the display tank, thus opening up the swim space available.

The 1.5lbs per gallon is a guide, generally running about 1.5lbs the display volume. E.g. 20G tank is about 30lbs LR. That could be 10 in the fuge, 20 in the display, 15lbs in each etc.

Also - you haven't filled out your aquarium info yet okey:

mangups

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Since I got scolded .. I just filled in my profile....

Since the Refugim is a HOB - am concerned too much weight and it may end up breaking the tank (CPR confirms that as long Refugim wall is parallel to the aquarium wall) - so will keep the LR rubble in the refugim and leave the LR in the display.
The aquaria that I have need lots of hiding places anyways....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom