Can I Use This For Potting Sword Plants?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by sassymomma, Apr 13, 2017.

1. sassymomma

sassymomma Well Known Member Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

I was thinking of putting them in a wide vase, and capping with sand and pebbles

2. meyowmeow

meyowmeow Valued Member Member

Potting to put in your aquarium? If so, peat moss and limestone may mess with your PH. Let me know how it goes!

3. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I would agree that peat and limestone will affect your pH. Also perlite will float up if you disturb the substrate when you cap it.

I would suggest looking for Miracle Grow Organic Potting soil

4. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

I'm still trying to find miracle grow, but without luck so far....might just add root tabs to hold them over till garden centres open

Right now I can get topsoil, potting soil, black dirt....and various mixes for veggies that are bound to be toxic

5. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

If you can find Organic Soil, doesn't have to Miracle grow. Another suggestion I have is mineralize soil (DIY project)

6. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

I did consider this.....but with all the stray cats, it would likely be ruined halfway through the process

I tried it once before for a tank but a week into setup my house smelled like a toilet and my swords were dead

7. Jnx

Jnx Valued Member Member

How about aliflor? We orchid fanatics use it as a potting medium. I have yet to try it under water, but it seems like it would work.

8. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

I can look into it....I mean it's going into a pot/vase so I can pull it out if it causes problems

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice