Can I Use This Ammonia?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When you shake it up does it foam up like it would have some kind of soap/cleaner other than ammonia in it? If not then it should be fine.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yes it does, but it says in the ingridients only ammonium hydroxide and surfactant....

ps. i already used it on my ten gallon, the one i took my fish from to add to my main tank, there is no fih in it now

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Darn!! i already used it on a partally cycled tank... so now i have to wash out everything and start from scratch right?... i swear im seconds way from saying enough!!

edit ti add: it says "contains no phosphorus" if this means anything

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ms rose said:
darn!i already used it on a partally cycled tank... so now i have to wash out everything and start from scratch right?... i swear im seconds way from saying enough!!
Check the MSDS online for first aid for swallowing. Read it carefully. If it says anything much worse than "drink lots of fluids and consult a physician" you definitely need to start over. The MSDS should also tell you which surfactant they use, which you can google.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ms rose said:
yes it does, but it says in the ingridients only ammonium hydroxide and surfactant....

ps. i already used it on my ten gallon, the one i took my fish from to add to my main tank, there is no fih in it now
The other ingredient in this case then is soap so no, You should only use pure ammonia ... no additives.

I don't know how much damage could have been done by the fact that you have already added some. I guess it is possible that water changes will dilute it enough but I can't in good conscience recommend you continue cycling this one for eventual fish.

Hopefully someone that knows more than I do will help you out.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Material Safety Data Sheet. It's a documentation of any chemical sold commercially or transported or stored in UN jurisdictions worldwide (though I'm not sure what French/German call it).
It lists reactivity, toxicity, and first aid measures, as well as some other technical details.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok so i go to google and type in msds and then how do i find the exact one i have?

well the msds wants me to pay to use it, they have a free trial but want a card and none of my card have cash, any other way to find out what the exact surfactant is? ugh whatever ill start all over again, ...........again

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You don't want to use an ammonia with a surfactant - that'll kill your BB.

You don't need to look up the MSDS - just get an ammonia without a surfactant and perfumes.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
to late, i had an almost cycled tank, removed the fih because i have been having a servere nitrite issue (see: nitrite spiked: what hapened) thread, and i bought this and added it, so i killed the rest of bb and have to start all over? which means boiling all my media and emptting out the whole tank and clean? oooffffff! this really stinks

Rob Shannon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ms rose said:
is this ammonia safe to start a fishless cycle?
the second pic is of ingridiens. says , ammonium hydroxide and surfactant

edit: its is clear with no scent other then ammonia. meaning no perfumes
No, you want a pure ammonia product with no surfactants, dyes, fragrances, detergents, etc. I used DrTim's because it calculates the dosage for you.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
already used it, ill start over again, but for right now im just going to leave it running and worry about my tank with fish... this journey has been nothing but a headache for me and i am this -..- close to saying, DONE!!
like how i used the symbols to signify how little patients i have for this nonsence? lol ugh i wanna cry but im laughing to much at my misery

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TexasDomer said:
You probably don't need to boil anything, just do a few large water changes, rinse out the media in dechlorinated tap water, and try again.
ok thats no so bad, thanx for the tip. i wont be using ammonia as i have no funding to perchas anymore. but i will do as you said and add fish food everydau

Biev

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ms rose said:
ok thats no so bad, thanx for the tip. i wont be using ammonia as i have no funding to perchas anymore. but i will do as you said and add fish food everydau
Fish food is way more expensive than ammonia. Just to keep things into perspective!

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You could try to return the ammonia bottle (if they'll let you return it opened) or sell it via Craigslist or something similar to get some money back, so you can buy one without surfactant.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TexasDomer said:
You could try to return the ammonia bottle (if they'll let you return it opened) or sell it via Craigslist or something similar to get some money back, so you can buy one without surfactant.
it was only a couple bux which is why i was able to get it and i thought it was the right one. ill get the right one eventually, in the mean time i now have a very good cleaning agent lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom