Can I use the dry method to create a carpet with only the seachem flourite substrate?

GIKAS1

I'm starting a new tank and I'm planning to make a carpet out of Hemiamthus Callitrichoides... I heard online that the dry start method is a good way to get a carpet going but I read that you need a nutrient rich soil to do it... Can adding some liquid fertilisers(spraying them maybe?) achieve the same result or it would be pointless?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!!

Rye3434

Fluorite would not be ideal for a carpet of really any plant in my opinion. Its pretty much a gravel with a little bit of nutrients. You would be much better off with an aquasoil of some type (ADA, Controsoil, etc.), they're more expensive but are significantly better for plants.

Marfied x UNS Controsoil Planted Aquarium Tank Aquatic Plant Substrate

This is what I use and I like it a lot. Also if you want to carpet HC you should make sure you have high light and CO2.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

I agree that the dry start method is good for getting a nice carpet going. But, I've never tried it without a nutrient rich soil.

If it's cost you're concerned with, you could always use potting soil capped with sand or gravel. I've found soil really helps with carpeting plants. Soil has many benefits including a much higher CEC than something like sand or gravel. This means soil will hold unto any fertilizers you add to it instead of those ferts just leaching out into the water.

Upvote 0

GIKAS1

I agree that the dry start method is good for getting a nice carpet going. But, I've never tried it without a nutrient rich soil.

If it's cost you're concerned with, you could always use potting soil capped with sand or gravel. I've found soil really helps with carpeting plants. Soil has many benefits including a much higher CEC than something like sand or gravel. This means soil will hold unto any fertilizers you add to it instead of those ferts just leaching out into the water.

The thing I'm most concerned with is the substrate change Im assuming Im gonna have to do sometime in the future and I'm a complete beginner in planted aquariums so it seems really hard right now... Unless I understood it wrong...

Upvote 0

MrBryan723

You can use liquid ferts... but dilute them with water like you would for normal house plants before adding them to the tank. A spray bottle would work. The biggest risk is burning the plants from too much ferts.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

Also, given you're new to growing carpeting plants, I would advise against trying HC--it's tough to grow. Instead, try Monte Carlo. Monte Carlo is much more forgiving, and looks similar to HC.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
Lunnietic
Replies
Views
EbiAqua
Replies