Can I use seashells I found in the ocean in my freshwater tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by crystalm04, Aug 5, 2015.

1. crystalm04

crystalm04 Valued Member Member

Can I use seashells I found in the ocean in my freshwater tank? I found two huge ones and ones got a hole on top but I thought they would make a very nice little hang out for my dwarf gourami.

2. A

Anji13 Valued Member Member

I have put some 10 to 15 seashells in my 10 gallon tank. My guppies and platies like them. I cleaned them before putting them in my tank. I kept them 2 days in water and changed water after every 3 to 4 hrs. removed all salts and sand. They really look nice in my tank.

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

They should be safe. But I would rinse them very well to get rid of any salt like they mentioned above

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. LuckyCorys

LuckyCorys Valued Member Member

Also be aware that it may affect the pH of the water, depending on hard your water is to begin with.

5. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

They may not only effect PH slightly, but they will also slowly raise GH over time as they dissolve. As long as the tanks not loaded with shells though you shouldnt see a huge difference, and with regular water changes I dont foresee any problems. If you have inverts like shrimp or snails, it will actually benefit them having some calcium being leeched into the water as they need it for their shells.

6. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

Yes I'll have to keep an eye on my PH I do have crushed coral in my filter because my PH had dropped significantly and suddenly to a 6.6 and the corals have kept it to a consistent 7.2. If I see it rise too high then ill just take the coral out. Its one giant I guess conch shell. The fish seem to love it. they hang out in there constantly now and it looks very nice in there.

7. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Id love to see pics, I've always loved shells!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

Ok ill post one in a bit.

9. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

10. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

That's the shell. pic came out sideways lol. anyhow it has a hole in it but the fish love to swim through it and some get way in there and hang out. Cute to watch how much they love it. I think that's a conch sell but not sure.

11. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Very pretty!

12. JoyToTheFishes

JoyToTheFishes Valued Member Member

Oooh, excellent news, I had read somewhere that you couldn't keep shells in an aquarium at all!

:;toast

13. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

I have another same size without a hole in it but I figured the fish would like the hole to swim through and they do. Ill let yall know if I notice any PH spikes so that way we'll know. so far so good though. Ill be the guinea pig lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice