Can I use normal silicone grease?!

1. lukepenny Initiate Member

Hey, I've got a external filter and the isolation valves are leaking on the rubber seals, would silicone grease effect the fish if I used it to reseat the rubber o rings? Cheers. Luke

2. peregrine Member Member

That is actually a REALLY hard question. It really depend so what is i the grease. If you read all over some say it's safe, others say it isn't. m It seems to depend on the exact makeup of the silicone grease.

3. Jim Well Known Member Member

Can't tell you that it will solve your O ring problems but for aquariums use original GE Silicone NOT GE silicone with mold inhibitors which I think is #2. Why not get new O rings.

EDIT: sorry, I now see you are talking about silicone grease not silicone caulk.

4. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I've used Vaseline (petroleium jelly) on O rings and haven't had any troubles.

It depends on the state of the o-rings - if they're fine, and you are just re-seating them, you should be ok. Otherwise it's a bit like pumping a tyre with a nail in it. Sure, it'll give short term relief, but eventually, you're going to have to replace it.

5. lukepenny Initiate Member

It's normal plumbing silicone grease that you would use to lubricate your taps at home

Good shout! I never thought of vaseline. They seem good but they are permanently fixed to the body of the valve and look in good condition
    I have aquarium silicone but it's the silicone grease used for lubricant I was thinking of

6. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

You should only need a thin film of Vaseline ;)

7. lukepenny Initiate Member

Cheers mate il give her a go