Question Can i use my fish tank for a hamster?

thatfishlover122

Reaction score
So i have a 15 gallon long tank with a betta in it and i've been thinking . Can i use this tank as a hamster cage? If i drained it (obviously) and used pet safe disinfectant, would it be safe to use the tank for a hamster with no lighting? Or would the fact it's had fish in be some sort of problem??

Fishproblem

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
so long as it's disinfected, you're good to go! frankly, you could spray it down with bleach, rinse with water, and let it sit outside for two days and it would be perfectly safe to use (so long as all smell of bleach is gone).

you may want to consider a bigger enclosure for your hamster though! much like betta fish, their care needs are wayyyyy understated by the pet industry. if you can find a 40 gallon breeder that you can afford, that would be perfect for a hamster. read up on bioactive and natural environments. again, just like bettas, you'll find out that hamsters have more fun, and are more fun, with a bigger more natural enclosure!

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would not. A 15 gallon tank is IMO too small for them, I've had them before and honestly, I would recommend at least 400-450 square inches of floorspace. Thats the general rule when I first started out, I think they came up with a new one though saying 600 something sq inches?
I suggest at least a 40 breeder(or anything with above dimensions as long as its safe) :)

OP
thatfishlover122

thatfishlover122

Reaction score
flyinGourami said:
I would not. A 15 gallon tank is IMO too small for them, I've had them before and honestly, I would recommend at least 400-450 square inches of floorspace. Thats the general rule when I first started out, I think they came up with a new one though saying 600 something sq inches?
I suggest at least a 40 breeder(or anything with above dimensions as long as its safe) :)
Fishproblem said:
so long as it's disinfected, you're good to go! frankly, you could spray it down with bleach, rinse with water, and let it sit outside for two days and it would be perfectly safe to use (so long as all smell of bleach is gone).

you may want to consider a bigger enclosure for your hamster though! much like betta fish, their care needs are wayyyyy understated by the pet industry. if you can find a 40 gallon breeder that you can afford, that would be perfect for a hamster. read up on bioactive and natural environments. again, just like bettas, you'll find out that hamsters have more fun, and are more fun, with a bigger more natural enclosure!

thank you both! and yeh, i’ve done some research and i’ve realised that it would be too small and i could start looking at bin cages etc as they’re cheaper! i guess if i accidentally got a pregnant hamster it’d be ok for when they’re small and big enough to separate but other than that it’s no good :)

New Threads