Can I use HOB that's been treated with bleach/water/copper sulfate?

  • Thread starter

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Messages
1,150
Reaction score
803
Points
123
I've been doing stupid things in my 75 gallon in a war against snails. Until I decided on a new type of filtration (probably Matten), can I use the old HOB, which I treated with bleach/water and with copper sulfate, sitting outside for a couple of weeks?!!! Oooops. It's Seachem Cupramine, which isn't apparently the same as copper sulfate?????
 

A201

Well Known Member
Messages
3,391
Reaction score
2,740
Points
298
Experience
More than 10 years
I used Copper Safe in two of my tanks several years ago. I still use the same filters & media today. All fish appear to be healthy & happy.
 
  • Thread starter

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Messages
1,150
Reaction score
803
Points
123
Thank you so much. I'm going to set the HOB back up today and run it. I've run hot water through it several times, so I hope it'll be safe! Thanks again!
 

GumYu

Valued Member
Messages
99
Reaction score
36
Points
28
Experience
2 years
yes, it'll be safe to use after rinsing it very well.
 

JayH

Well Known Member
Messages
612
Reaction score
360
Points
83
Experience
5 to 10 years
The chlorine from the bleach will dissipate if left to air out for a few days. If you bleached the media it's probably toast. Too many nooks and crannies for it to be completely rinsed and dried out. It might not kill the fish but it will be a wasteland as far as bacteria are concerned.

The copper will be fine as long as you never want to keep invertebrates in the tank with that filter. Some species of shrimp are said to be extremely sensitive to copper. I would mark the filter in some way, like writing "Exposed to copper" in big letters on the back, so you won't forget about it in the future. In theory, any tank that filter is subsequently used on would be similarly exposed, including decorations, substrate, etc.
 
  • Thread starter

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Messages
1,150
Reaction score
803
Points
123
JayH said:
The chlorine from the bleach will dissipate if left to air out for a few days. If you bleached the media it's probably toast. Too many nooks and crannies for it to be completely rinsed and dried out. It might not kill the fish but it will be a wasteland as far as bacteria are concerned.

The copper will be fine as long as you never want to keep invertebrates in the tank with that filter. Some species of shrimp are said to be extremely sensitive to copper. I would mark the filter in some way, like writing "Exposed to copper" in big letters on the back, so you won't forget about it in the future. In theory, any tank that filter is subsequently used on would be similarly exposed, including decorations, substrate, etc.
Thanks. It all started with the possibly futile obsession to permanently remove pest snails in a 75 gallon as they were demolishing my plants! I WILL win! :dead: I put the treated HOB back, with new media and the fish seemed so much happier. Almost like they'd missed their old friend. I had other, temporary filtration which was semi-adequate, but literally, within seconds, they were much happier with the old HOB..... sound, vibrations..... who knows?
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom