Can I use glue on rocks for aquarium?

TropicalFlow

Weird question but can I use some sorta glue so I can glue rocks together and put them in a aquarium without hurting my fish?
Like gorilla glue or hot glue

PAcanis

I've had better success using aquarium safe silicon. Unless it is simply attaching a plant to a rock.

If the silicon shows sprinkle a little sand on it.

TropicalFlow

I'm planning on glueing rocks together
What type of silicone glue could you show a picture to see if we have it in Saskatchewan. Also, any other types that could work?

Mudminnow

I've seen folks use a combination of cigarette filters and super glue. Here's a video showing this:

TropicalFlow

sadly i dont even own ciggarette filters, plus theres none in town:(,

MMac

You can use gel type super glue. It may not hold as well as the silicone. Locktite makes an aquarium safe silicone that might be available in your area.

If you choose to go the silicone route, make sure it is fully cured before you put it in your aquarium as uncured silicone is dangerous to your inhabitants.

TropicalFlow

So get gel superglue ? Will normal super glue work as well. I will try to find something that will work. I hope I will dind it.

CindiL

Hi, yes superglue works fine, just make sure it’s set before you put it in the tank. I’ve used that and also hot glue gun but super glue works best.

TropicalFlow

Hi, yes superglue works fine, just make sure it’s set before you put it in the tank. I’ve used that and also hot glue gun but super glue works best.
any type of superglue? is there any sorta ingredient that shouldnt be in the glue?

CindiL

any type of superglue? is there any sorta ingredient that shouldnt be in the glue?
Usually super glue gel is recommended but I think either is fine as long as it is set. You can also buy Seachem decoration glue at a lot of pet stores but you’ll pay more for it probably.

MMac

So get gel superglue ? Will normal super glue work as well. I will try to find something that will work. I hope I will dind it.
Yes, normal superglue will work - just a little harder to work with. It becomes inert when it contacts water. It is just not as strong a bond as silicone (again, if you use silicon you must allow it to fully cure - it is cured when you can no longer smell the vinegar smell). I used superglue on some of my rocks after my scape was already in place and needed some touch ups.

Water actually strengthens the bond between the rocks and the super glue. If you want to make it stronger take some tank water out of your tank, glue the rocks the way you want them and submerse it in the tank water. Alternately, you can build your rocks in a deep dish, then pour water over it when done. It will bind instantly. Be careful picking the rocks back up though, because although the binding is complete it cannot compete with the weight of the rocks.

Note: You don't have to use tank water, but if you use tap water make sure you condition the water before removing the rocks, esp if your rocks are porous to take the toxicity out of the chlorine.

Good luck!

Mcasella

You'll want to use gel superglue, if you use regular it will not bind the rocks.
100% cyanoacrylate is what you are looking for - doesn't matter the brand as long as it is gel and 100%. It cures once it touches water, so it is safe even with inverts and corals.

Silicone I've found doesn't bond rocks as well as it could, plus the cure time to see if it will hold together like it was put.

TropicalFlow

what do you mean my cure? it dries?
thanks

MMac

what do you mean my cure? it dries?
thanks
Yes. Cure means completely dry throughout. The thinner the layer, the quicker it will cure. If it is not cured when you put it in the tank it will harm your inhabitants.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Diane 007
Replies
Views
Cara
Replies
Views
Silister Trench
Replies
Views