Can i use Furan-2 for quaratine

Celestialpearl

Reaction score
You could, but I wouldn't personally. I'd recommend starting with something less potent if you want to medicate. I do medicate on quarantine and I find E.M. Mycin, General Cure, and Methylene blue or Ich X work well in combination. Just erythromycin and general cure, alone or together work well too.

***edit for detail***
I say something less potent than Furan 2. It’s not that Furan 2 is a super strong med, but rather that it has potential to effect more things in the tank. It has been a long time since I’ve read up on it but I do remember controversy in use with plants and inverts. It wasn’t clear if it was safe with use with these. In addition it will kill bb, but so will erythromycin. They are both broad spec, but I think Furan 2 is slightly more selective. There was also a pH thing, like a alkaline/high (I think) pH can deactivate the drug or make it less effective? Either triple sulfa or tetracycline had a pH thing as well. But again, as a disclaimer it has been a few years (maybe more) since I last looked into the med. I don’t know if there’s anything else new out.

Roboticsbede

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Celestialpearl said:
You could, but I wouldn't personally. I'd recommend starting with something less potent if you want to medicate. I do medicate on quarantine and I find E.M. Mycin, General Cure, and Methylene blue or Ich X work well in combination. Just erythromycin and general cure, alone or together work well too.
I wouldn't really recommend Erythromycin as it contains anti-biotics. I think its best to just use mild medications like General Cure, Melafix, Pimafix or aquarium salt since you're just buying fishes.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Using meds (besides dewormers maybe) as a precaution really is a bad idea.
Most fish are designed to treat an excisting issue after a proper diagnose.
The (mis- and over) use of meds and especially antibiotics causes resistant strains of parasites / bacteria.

If one buys healthy fish QT-ing to be sure they'll get through an incubationperiode is enough. If a specific disease occures one can treat that.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom