Can I use driftwood as main decoration

vampireshrimpfan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 29 gallon tank where I keep 2 vampire shrimp ( and more fish ). I am planning to redecorate it with driftwood ( OHTOP Aquarium Driftwood Decoration Aquarium Decorations Log Fish Tank Cave Hideout Wood Decor Plant Stump Ornament ). There will be java fern plants also. Will the vampire shrimp have enough to hide in or will I have to add-on to the driftwood and java fern plants.

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Driftwood is great to add a natural look to the tank! Some driftwood does leech tannin, it tints the water a light orange but just add carbon to your media it filter it out. You can also boil the wood to leech tannin before adding to your tank as well. Also some driftwood will float for a week or 2 before coming water logged. Some types do not float like MopanI wood.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@OP: I know your setup. For this you will need at least:

- 3 bags of sand (to be washed thoroughly before use)
- 3-4 nice pieces of real driftwood (to be soaked at least a week before use)
- 5-10 fist-size rocks (just rinse them)
- 10-20 java ferns (don't plant them in the sand)

Sorry to be that harsh again, but please, for the sake of your animals, do it right this time. You seem to be only concerned about the shrimp. This is not a good thing, you have quite an array of fish in there, too, that are suffering as well.

The shrimp will have enough hiding spots if you arrange the wood and rocks the right way.

Good luck.

Thibault Drake

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
vampireshrimpfan said:
I have a 29 gallon tank where I keep 2 vampire shrimp ( and more fish ). I am planning to redecorate it with driftwood ( OHTOP Aquarium Driftwood Decoration Aquarium Decorations Log Fish Tank Cave Hideout Wood Decor Plant Stump Ornament ). There will be java fern plants also. Will the vampire shrimp have enough to hide in or will I have to add-on to the driftwood and java fern plants.
Make sure to tie or superglue the java fern to the driftwood or rocks. I like using super thin fishing line to tie it, but I think thin sowing string will work too.

OP
vampireshrimpfan

vampireshrimpfan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I car about the fish, I was just worried the shrimp will have nowhere to hide and get haunted down by the fish.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dont use wood from the yard. Look online for some. It will probably be cheaper than the plastic stuff you are looking at. Look for some Mopani, Cholla or Manzanita wood.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
vampireshrimpfan said:
I car about the fish, I was just worried the shrimp will have nowhere to hide and get haunted down by the fish.
None of you're fish would see vampire shrimp as food, so don't worry.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cholla wood has holes in it. If you find a bigger piece the shrimp could hide in it.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have Manzanita. I don't care for the tannins in Mopani. It looks nice though!

New Threads