Can I Use Dead Rock In Saltwater Aquarium?

sanjay7
75g Discus Tank
Near my place live rock is not available only dead rock is available. Can I use it for my saltwater tank ?
You can use dead rock, but it doesn't have any bacteria so it is mainly for decorative purposes but it can hold bacterial colonies if you cycle the tank.

Jesterrace
By dead rock are you taking about Dry Rock (ie Pukani) or are you just talking about other random rocks? Dry Rock which is live rock that has since died is actually the preferred method for many reefers due to the low cost and the fact that you are almost guaranteed to not have any pests. As for mainly being used for decoration? No, once you establish bacteria and cycle it, it has beneficial bacteria and serves the same basic function as live rock.

sanjay7
By dead rock are you taking about Dry Rock (ie Pukani) or are you just talking about other random rocks? Dry Rock which is live rock that has since died is actually the preferred method for many reefers due to the low cost and the fact that you are almost guaranteed to not have any pests. As for mainly being used for decoration? No, once you establish bacteria and cycle it, it has beneficial bacteria and serves the same basic function as live rock.
I'm talking about dry rock . I have fish in my tank. So now I can directly install the dry rock inside ? Any parameters should be considered before installing ?

thesoulpatch
Should cure it before adding it to the tank or else you're gonna crash it.

sanjay7
Should cure it before adding it to the tank or else you're gonna crash it.
Cure as in ? How ?

thesoulpatch
Either have them in the tank with no fish and seed with ammonia , or have them in a bucket or plastic tub and seed with ammonia. unless you want to do the fish in method, which is harmful for them.

So if you already have fish in there, what are you using to filter the waste out now?

sanjay7
Either have them in the tank with no fish and seed with ammonia , or have them in a bucket or plastic tub and seed with ammonia. unless you want to do the fish in method, which is harmful for them.

So if you already have fish in there, what are you using to filter the waste out now?
I use filter with ceramic and activated carbon. I have seachem prime

thesoulpatch
ah gothca! I'd get a tub from walmart or something and fill it with saltwater and put in some ammonia from the store, shake it and make sure it doesn't bubble. Or buy some from BRS or Marine Depot, the add a couple drops until you get to 2ppm and start the cycle.

The problem is it will take 6-8 weeks to complete the cycle at the minimum. There ar several salty people here who have had rocks curing for several months before they were put in the tank. So all depends. Like right now I have 10lbs of rocks curing and they have taken 3 weeks and it's on the nitrite portion of the cycle. So still has awhile.

Now you not only want to do the nitrogen cycle but also make sure you don't have any phosphates leaching as they can lead to green hair algae and that's a pain as well.

sanjay7
ah gothca! I'd get a tub from walmart or something and fill it with saltwater and put in some ammonia from the store, shake it and make sure it doesn't bubble. Or buy some from BRS or Marine Depot, the add a couple drops until you get to 2ppm and start the cycle.

The problem is it will take 6-8 weeks to complete the cycle at the minimum. There ar several salty people here who have had rocks curing for several months before they were put in the tank. So all depends. Like right now I have 10lbs of rocks curing and they have taken 3 weeks and it's on the nitrite portion of the cycle. So still has awhile.

Now you not only want to do the nitrogen cycle but also make sure you don't have any phosphates leaching as they can lead to green hair algae and that's a pain as well.
Thanks .I contacted the Amazon seller . He was like you can directly put it in tank with fish in it and it won't cause any harm .

sanjay7
Thanks .I contacted the Amazon seller . He was like you can directly put it in tank with fish in it and it won't cause any harm .
I'm confused

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JR. Reefer
Replies
Views
E.TNBuckeye
Replies
Views
sanjay7
Replies