Can I use Dead coral instead of live rock.

vampireshrimpfan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am planning to get a clownfish tank. I have a dead piece of coral, can I use that instead of live rock. Thank you.

qldmick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yes. i brought some that the shop had in tanks for a bit so a small amount of stuff had started growing on it again. maybe just add a few pieces of coral/liverock to get things started.

vampireshrimpfan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was thinking to replace live rock with this coral. The coral is actually the bones of coral.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dry Rock technically is dead coral although how porous the rock is can greatly affect it's ability to be a good biofilter.

vampireshrimpfan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I can, right?

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
vampireshrimpfan said:
So I can, right?
You can use it if it hasn’t been treated with chemicals.
What Jest is saying is that the dead coral piece may not be as beneficial as using actual live rock. Live rock is used as the main filtration and it’s structure is porous and a great surface for beneficial bacteria To grow on. A plain old dead piece of coral may not do that.

vampireshrimpfan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok. I was thinking to wait up on the live rock. I was thinking to get a skimmer but if live rock is used as main filtration then i will get the live rock instead

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What size tank? A skimmer is a very useful piece of equipment that can and will make your life easier.
If you are going to get a reef tank a skimmer is a great piece of equipment to have and acts differently than the live rock.
Ill explain
Live rock is surface area for beneficial bacteria and protection for scavengers. So say a piece of food starts to rot and produce ammonia. The bacteria that break down the ammonia into nitrites and and then to nitrates lives on and in the live rock.
A protein skimmer can and will remove the nasty hunk before it breakdown into ammonia and has to go through that process.
Hope that makes sense.

vampireshrimpfan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Makes sense

vampireshrimpfan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started