Can I use a regular bag to ship fish?

Potato1

I have to ship my 3 bettas soon and I only have access to regular fish bags, not breathable ones. I am going to pack them in these and then styrofoam boxes. I will fill them with about 2/3 of air (not pure oxygen) and add some plants. Using express shipping, will the bettas survive in the bags?

JettsPapa

They should be fine. I shipped a pearl gourami like that last year that got stuck in the mail and didn't arrive until almost a week after I shipped it, and it was okay.

Upvote 0

Cawafuoshi

I'm amazed USPS or other mail services do accept live stock for shipping. I can understand wholesale shipping of fish, but those probably are handled with special care and express delivery.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Not in my Australian club. A corner bag is not acceptable for auction . Small fish get stuck in the corners.No shops use them down under.

I have seen North American auctions were they can use them.

I did see Dean from aquarium co-op post a video on using masking tape to fold the corners back. And they call Aussies rough.

Answer . It’s probably ok for medium sized and large fish?

Upvote 0

Potato1

Not in my Australian club. A corner bag is not acceptable for auction . Small fish get stuck in the corners.No shops use them down under.

I did see Dean from aquarium co-op post a video on using masking tape to fold the corners back. And they call Aussies rough.

The bags have sealed corners luckily, I save the bags every time I receive a fish so I have a couple hanging around.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Skip to 14 minutes 10 seconds . How to save 20 cents on a new sterile fish bag.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

I forgot to mention it above, but when I ship shrimp I double-bag, with the first bag inverted in the second one. That pretty much eliminates corners.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
AvalancheDave
  • Question
Replies