Can I use a piece of mesh to separate soil and sand in my aquarium

Trashboat
I am planning on rebuilding my aquarium and was curious if I could use a piece of mesh to separate the soil and the sand and still allow plant roots to grow down into the soil, I'm am just curious if this could be harmful to the fish or maybe it could release chemicals into the water?

Salem
I know stainless steel mesh is often used to anchor things like moss down in aquariums, you likely could use some of that. The wires may be too thin to really hold much out though. Other options would be plastic canvas or polyester mesh fabric. Make sure it would be polyester and not cotton because it could decay over time. If you can find 100% polyester batting or filter floss you could also use that. It would work best if it was the sort that is sold in a roll.

Trashboat
Salem said:
I know stainless steel mesh is often used to anchor things like moss down in aquariums, you likely could use some of that. The wires may be too thin to really hold much out though. Other options would be plastic canvas or polyester mesh fabric. Make sure it would be polyester and not cotton because it could decay over time. If you can find 100% polyester batting or filter floss you could also use that. It would work best if it was the sort that is sold in a roll.
Okay thanks, I am mostly using it so no soil makes its way to the surface since it looks bad, I actually have some fiberglass mesh, do you think that would work or should I go with polyester? I also want holes in the material so roots can get to the soil

Salem
I believe it should be ok but I'm not certain. If you're worried about how it looks on the sides I know its fairly common to put sand around the edges as a barrier to hide it.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom