Can I use a piece of drift wood that's been in a hermit crab aquarium?

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by Huskiesandfishies, Jul 25, 2015.

1. H

Huskiesandfishies Valued Member Member

Can I use a piece of drift wood from a hermit crab aquarium? I believe it had coconut fiber bedding used in it.

2. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

You might be able to if you boil it for 30mins to 1hour.

3. OP
    OP
    H

I beleive its malaysian driftwood, I had it in an aquarium, and gave it to my mom for a hermit crab cage and she now longer has them so wondering if I can use it again xD

4. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

I have Malaysian Driftwood in my tank for my BN Pleco. I boiled mine for 30mins on both sides to get the tannin out of the wood. I you should be able to use it if you boil it for at least 1 hour. All driftwood that gets sold in LFS I believe is collected naturally anyway. Let's see what other have to say.

5. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

I would boil it and soak it in a bucket for at least a week before putting it in your tank. Change the soaking water every day or so.

Once you do put it in, keep an eye on the tank for any unusual behavior just to be sure.

6. OP
    OP
    H

Ok great, It's not the best shape but it's not the worst. It should create one kind of bigger somewhat cave. May look good covered in moss though (Which is what I want to do). Last time I boiled it and let it dry and then put it in the tank... it released tannins. Ill reboil it and put it in a plastic tote and change the water everyday for a week and see how that works.

7. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I know a lot people boil the wood. But there is no reason to do this. It bursts the fibers in the wood causing it to decompose and rot in your aquarium faster. Just soaking and changing the water in a container will give you the same results. It just takes longer. But it is better for the wood.

If you are planning on soaking it, then I would not boil it yet again. Just do one or the other. Soaking will not burst the fibers. Boiling will. Since you have already boiled it previously, I don't see why you would need to again.

Just my :;2cents

8. OP
    OP
    H

Great I just didnt know if the coconut fiber bedding would cause any issues

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice