Can I Use A Leaky Tank? Question

1. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

I bought a 29 gallon acrylic tank and it has a very small leak (A couple of drops in an hour) on one of the seams, the warranty sent me a new one and told me to keep the leaky one. Can I set up the leaky tank temporarily (1-2 months) just as a quarantine tank for new fish?

2. kuhlkid Member Member

Buy some silicone to patch the leak?

3. goplecos Well Known Member Member

If it's at one of the seams you can buy aquarium silicon for cheap off of amazon, fix it and use the tank however you like.
    this will help: Fixing A Leaking Aquarium - Petcha

4. Shadow2331 Member Member

Use a silicon to seal the leak and the tank is as good as new :)

5. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

Thanks. Do I need to cut away the old silicone though or do I just patch the leak?

6. Shadow2331 Member Member

if the leaked area has old silicon its better you cut it till the point it is leaked, and then apply a fresh silicon :)

7. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

The seam or the seal? The seam is what is used to paste the glass together, the seal is what keeps water in.
    If the seam is wrong you have to take the aquarium glass appart, if the seal is wrong you just have to reseal it which is the easiest thing to do.
    Either way, you just got a free tank lol. And no, I wouldnt use a tank with a leak, not safe. You dont know if those 2 drops can make the leak worse and flood the house.

8. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

I am not really sure, I think it is the seal though. The drops form near the edge

9. tunafax Well Known Member Member

Wait, hang on.

Acrylic doesn't seal with silicone. I mean, you can probably patch it if it's a tiny leak, but it won't properly bond. So don't take out the old seam. How is it even sealed in the first place? Do you see silicone?

I think acrylic needs some sort of welding chemical glue.

10. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

Thanks for your reply. I actually just checked and you're right, there is no silicone :eek:.

11. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

You can use that really strong tape or liquid I see on commercials called Flex Seal......:D

12. Shadow2331 Member Member

:eek::eek::eek:

13. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

:D I've always heard people talking about their tanks sealed with silicone and to fix a leak you just shave off the old silicone and seal the tank with new silicone, so I just assumed that my tank was sealed with silicone as well

14. tunafax Well Known Member Member

LOL!

Yeah, there you go. Acrylic is welded, which as far as I understand makes 2 pieces into 1. Like, it's one solid thing, not 2 sides glued together.

I don't know if you can add more weld to fix the pinhole. I know if you do, it will melt the surrounding seal until it dries. You can either look into it, or just try applying a bit silicone to see were that gets you. Again, it won't bond - but it will probably hold the leak.

15. yukondog Well Known Member Member

What ever you use make sure its aquarium safe, flex- a -seal may kill your fish, make sure it's aquarium safe.

16. tunafax Well Known Member Member

Oh, and it's small, so you just need a small tube of Silicone 1 from any hardware store.

Make sure it does NOT say mold resistant or anything like that. Also don't get Silicone 2. It's all the same stuff, but you need to wait much longer for silicone 2 to cure properly so it doesn't release any toxins.

There is nothing magical about any silicone, aquarium or hardware store. The reason people's fish die is because they didn't give it enough time to cure. Aq silicone probably has shorter cure time, that's all there is to it.

Edit: I'm talking a week or 2. Not 1 day.

17. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Is it an acrylic tank? Dangit, I need to read better. Acrylic tanks are fused together so they become one piece so no resealing.

18. Shadow2331 Member Member

I missed to read the Acrylic part in your comment so i was suggesting with the view that your tank was a glass tank and got surprised when u said there was no silicon :D:D

19. fissh Well Known Member Member

Use a thickened acrylic cement. Seal from the inside of the tank, and seal the whole seam where the leak is coming from. The thickened stuff is easy to use but don't spill it on the viewing parts of the tank because it will etch into the acrylic.

20. Mac's Initiate Member

Make sure to marks up the edges so that there is less chance of smearing the cement into the viewing section.