Can I Turn Off My Filter?

Z123Killer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I decided to go with fishless cycling with using pure ammonia only but my ammonia is not arriving till monday or tuesday; however, I started my aquarium and added the substrate and water. Can I leave my filter off with a full tank and only have my air pump running till the ammonia arrives?

MaddieTaylah

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Z123Killer said:
I decided to go with fishless cycling with using pure ammonia only but my ammonia is not arriving till monday or tuesday; however, I started my aquarium and added the substrate and water. Can I leave my filter off with a full tank and only have my air pump running till the ammonia arrives?
Yes you can leave your filter off until you begin your cycle once your ammonia arrives.

OP
Z

Z123Killer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
MaddieTaylah said:
Yes you can leave your filter off until you begin your cycle once your ammonia arrives.
Would it be ok if I let water sit in it for a couple of days? Because I turned it on to see how it would work and now there is water inside.

MaddieTaylah

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Z123Killer said:
Would it be ok if I let water sit in it for a couple of days? Because I turned it on to see how it would work and now there is water inside.
It will be fine.

BeanFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Oh dear, what are you doing!
Turn on the filter and add fish food, it will also help, once your ammonia arrives you can use that instead.
Fish food contains some phosphates and stuff the bacteria may enjoy.
You may develop some biofilm in the water if you let it stagnant for too much time.

OP
Z

Z123Killer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BeanFish said:
Oh dear, what are you doing!
Turn on the filter and add fish food, it will also help, once your ammonia arrives you can use that instead.
Fish food contains some phosphates and stuff the bacteria may enjoy.
You may develop some biofilm in the water if you let it stagnant for too much time.
The fish food will arrive after the ammonia so that wouldn't be an option but I heard it is unpredictable and I should only rely on ammonia instead.

BeanFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Pee on the tank LOL. (joke it may mess up your tank lol)
Any piece of food should do it. And while you don't know for sure how many ammonia you are dosing with fish food you should not worry, it is common belief that bacteria will die if your ammonia is too high but I don't think it is true, there are guys out there growing BB at 20-80 ppm of ammonia.
I would just drop something in there to rot and start the cycling process but that is because patience is not my thing, if you can wait then Kudos to you!

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Only use clear ammonia. Do not use fish food.

Using food is messy, smells, is imprecise and takes for ever. Ammonia if done right takes 7-12 days.

Do not forget to get a good quality bacteria like

OP
Z

Z123Killer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thunder_o_b said:
Only use clear ammonia. Do not use fish food.

Using food is messy, smells, is imprecise and takes for ever. Ammonia if done right takes 7-12 days.

Do not forget to get a good quality bacteria like
Do I need bacteria, or would ammonia be enough?

BeanFish

Well Known
Reaction score
He can use food to speed up the cycle and then dose ammonia.
Depends, I would just wait until the bacteria grows cause there is no way I am paying for bottled bacteria lol.
But that is just me, Mr. Krabs

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I used Stability for my fish-in cycle and was cycled in 12 days. Most of us use some sort of bottled bacteria to jumpstart their cycle. Either Stability or Tetra Safe Start. It is totally up to you.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I used fish food instead of ammonia to cycle my tank but you could also use something like a dead shrimp. It would be better than nothing until the ammonia arrives.

PaulaMPi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I left mine filled but off for a several days (before I had my filter set up completely), and it got slightly greasy looking swirls on the top (assume it was biofilm). I removed most of it just by filling and dumping a cup several times. Then I wanted to add some more water to top off the tank when it was finally time to cycle, and had to do Prime again, and made sure to wait at least 24-hours after Prime before starting TSS+ with the ammonia.

OP
Z

Z123Killer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PaulaMPi said:
I left mine filled but off for a several days (before I had my filter set up completely), and it got slightly greasy looking swirls on the top (assume it was biofilm). I removed most of it just by filling and dumping a cup several times. Then I wanted to add some more water to top off the tank when it was finally time to cycle, and had to do Prime again, and made sure to wait at least 24-hours after Prime before starting TSS+ with the ammonia.
Thank you for the info. So it'll take about 4 more days for my ammonia to arrive, when the ammonia does arrive, would you recommend dosing the whole tank again with Stress coat or no?

PaulaMPi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm still a newbie, so I'm not very familiar with all the different products. My understanding is if the water is dechlorinated already, you don't have to do it again. (I needed to add more water, which needed to be dechlorinated...) TSS+ specifically says you have to wait 24 hours after using Prime (dechlorinator), but if you're not adding water, you shouldn't have to re-dose it (assuming you already have done it). And also, if you're using different products, the directions will will probably be different

OP
Z

Z123Killer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PaulaMPi said:
I'm still a newbie, so I'm not very familiar with all the different products. My understanding is if the water is dechlorinated already, you don't have to do it again. (I needed to add more water, which needed to be dechlorinated...) TSS+ specifically says you have to wait 24 hours after using Prime (dechlorinator), but if you're not adding water, you shouldn't have to re-dose it (assuming you already have done it). And also, if you're using different products, the directions will will probably be different
Well I added about 27 gallons of water and dosed for the whole tank (29 gallons) ad today in the morning I added these 2 extra gallons without dechlorinating them.

PaulaMPi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you added more water, you need to add more dechlorinator - no amount of chlorine/chloramines is good for the BB or fish

New Threads