Can I 'trim' The Roots On My Java Fern?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Algonquin, May 28, 2018.

1. Algonquin

AlgonquinWell Known MemberMember

I've got a Java Fern that I was given a few months ago - it is fairly mature, but didn't adjust very well to my tank. A few of the larger leaves came off - there still are a few left, and it has lots of new growth, so I guess it was just acclimating.
    The brown roots are massive - to me it looks like a giant icky hairball in my tank :yuck: I've tried shoving them into the substrate, while keeping the rhizome above it, but it doesn't really work. If I trim the roots back, say to a couple of inches, will that harm the plant?

2. bryangar

bryangarWell Known MemberMember

It wouldn’t hurt the plant but ferns really aren’t meant to be planted. Get a small rock and tie it with some sewing thread.

3. OP
    OP
    Algonquin

AlgonquinWell Known MemberMember

Sorry, I should have been more clear... it's tied to a rock with thread. My issue is that the stringy roots are about 6 inches long, so I've kind of rolled them up into an ugly ball, and that sits beside the plant. If I could trim the roots so they're shorter, it would look a whole lot nicer.. but I don't want to harm the plant.

4. bryangar

bryangarWell Known MemberMember

Oh okay, yeah it’s fine to trim the roots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice