Can I Still Use Expired Blood Worms?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by MatthewM, Aug 6, 2015.

1. MatthewMValued MemberMember

Got a box of frozen bloodworms today, opened them up, expired 2014. Unusable?

2. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

Um I don't know why there's an expiration date, frozen food(frozen stuff in general) doesn't expire for years...But to be safe wait for other answers :)

3. alinkWell Known MemberMember

Are you sure its an expiration date and not a manufactured date?

4. MatthewMValued MemberMember

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438904580.782636.jpg

5. alinkWell Known MemberMember

Those are the same ones I use but currently I am out lol. I would take them back to the store and get one that is a better date. Unless someone here says its okay and you trust them.

6. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

if it is convenient to return, I would just take it back. If not, just look for freezer burn.

7. ricmccWell Known MemberMember

Unless you use liquid nitrogen rather than a domestic freezer, I would definitely have the store replace them; even frozen food does eventually go off. Otherwise, there would be little point on putting an expiration date on in the first place.
    Of course, they might be fine, but the only way that you can tell for sure is to feed them, and see if you fish remain okay. Seems too great a risk for the small gain of avoiding a trip to your LFS. Best of luck, rick

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  8. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

It doesn't need to keep it at liquid nitrogen temperature, below zero Fahrenheit is fine to keep food for years. Most commercial freezers run at least zero, with ice cream freezers running as low as negative 15. The problem comes when the freezer is opened frequently and the temperature rises. The quickest way to tell on this is the presence of frost or freezer burn. BTW, I have 25 years processing meat and running meat departments.

9. Et tuValued MemberMember

I would take them back, they are over a year past the pull date. Some one in the pet food department dropped the ball!
    I once watched two petsmart employees argue as to who was going to unload the frozen pet food, all the while the "frozen" food was sitting on the loading dock in !00* + temps.

10. MatthewMValued MemberMember

It's a lfs that isn't terribly reliable. No real receipts, stuff is never in stock, the guy always has his son there alone instead of actually working. I had the last container. I'll probably just throw it away and try and see if somewhere else in town has frozen foods. But i don't think so. No freezer burn for those wondering.

11. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Petsmart usually has frozen fish food if you've got one of those around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. MatthewMValued MemberMember

Nope. No chain stores or anything fir about 45 min.

13. ricmccWell Known MemberMember

Sorry to disagree, but the instructions that came with my deep freeze went into some detail on labeling and rotating foods so as to insure that all remain edible. Presumably, home freezers are somewhat different than the commercial ones that you deal with, or so I would hope.
    I'M just saying to the OPer that in cost/benefit terms, the potential loss is far greater than avoiding a LFS that he presumably goes to on a regular basis in any case. I would not disagree with you were it not that the cost is so low, in this case. I will concede that the expiration dates put on frozen foods might refer more to how palatable the item is, rather than the presence of pathogens; you would know more about that than I do. All the best, rick

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  14. alinkWell Known MemberMember

Same for me... The town I live in now used to have a privately owned fish store but they went out of business about a year ago. I guess the overhead costs of running the shop were too much for the business they got. So now I got a Petco about 35 mins west or a Petco, Petsmart and private fish store about 45-55 mins east, a Petco and a private shop about 45-50 mins south east. lol

15. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

Actually, we agree mostly. I would return the item, just on the principal that it should not have been sold to him in the first place and that he shouldn't have to take any chance. If it is more trouble to return than it is worth, then he could take the chance after inspecting the product. Additionally, once thawed out to feed, the bloodworms will have a distinct smell to them if they are bad.

16. MatthewMValued MemberMember

I tried another store in town. I don't like going there because I would never buy anything out of their tanks. They always have the coolest fish and the biggest selection, but the tanks always have sick fish. Always. And they put stuff like schools of clown loaches in a 20g. But turns out they have a ton of frozen foods. Cheaper too. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438964323.032936.jpg

17. ricmccWell Known MemberMember

Sarcasm Included
    After doing a bit of further reading on bacteria, I think that I own you an apology, as I now believe that you are quite correct in saying that bacteria will basically remain inert in sub-freezing temperatures, especially in freezers that have significantly sub-freezing temps.
    My guess, then, is that the expiration date really refers to other food degradation, like ice crystals, freezer burn, just generally being not palatable.
    Sorry about that, but for me, the cost of the worry involved exceeds that cost of getting a new pack.
    I do wonder about the store, tho, as they should have a high turnover rate in frozen bloodworms, and therefore seem somewhat careless to me. rick
    BTW, I was kidding about the liquid nitrogen, unless you happen to own a piece of Ted Williams or the like:)

18. ricmccWell Known MemberMember

So long as they are selling something to you, they will always be happy to see you:), rick

19. MatthewMValued MemberMember

The store doesn't do much for tank care. I dont think they even sell tanks. Mostly just the fish. They dont even sell the products to cycle or water conditioners. So i dont think they sell too much frozen food.

Never seen my fish eat like this. It's like they dont think they will ever be fed again :) even my serpaes are eating, and i never see them come out to eat.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015
  20. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

All my fish go crazy after frozen food! They like the bloodworms and mysis shrimp, though they LOVE brine shrimp. You should mysis and brine too :)

Everything is well-price most places too. Only $5.99 for a box of cubed frozen bloodworms/mysis/brine shrimp, and they usually last me around 2-3 months since I rotate foods.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice