Can I start a tank with Cory Cats?

Tambo79

New Member
Member
Messages
34
Reaction score
11
Hey everyone,

I set up my 90 gallon tank and Went and had my water tested today and they said the water was perfect.

Can I start out with a school of around 6 Panda Corys?

The fish I want to keep to name a few are...

Neon Green Tetras (can’t start with these I have to order them)

Celestial Pearl Danio
Skunk Corys
Variety of shrimp
Furcatus Rains
Gertrude Rainbow
 

Gel0city

Well Known
Member
Messages
714
Reaction score
741
Experience
3 years
What do you mean "start the tank"? I assume it's already cycled, so six panda corys should be fine. Just don't add too many fish at once in the tank. Learned that the hard way :(
 

flyinGourami

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,533
Reaction score
3,196
Location
My house
Experience
Just started
Tambo79 said:
Hey everyone,

I set up my 90 gallon tank and Went and had my water tested today and they said the water was perfect.

Can I start out with a school of around 6 Panda Corys?

The fish I want to keep to name a few are...

Neon Green Tetras (can’t start with these I have to order them)

Celestial Pearl Danio
Skunk Corys
Variety of shrimp
Furcatus Rains
Gertrude Rainbow
Yes, although some people say corys need older tanks. I would start with the danios if possible, but I believe the corys should be fine. I say this since danios are hardier and if anything were to happen as long as you do water changes they should be fine. Corys are a tad bit more sensitive, but if you really want to start with them, you should be fine as long as the tank is cycled.
 

faydout

Active Member
Member
Messages
252
Reaction score
229
Location
Denver, Colorado
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gel0city said:
Just don't add too many fish at once in the tank. Learned that the hard way
I'm cycling (fishless) now. Just wondering why this is? I'm not going to stock my tank till I'm processing 4 PPM ammonia, which I've been hoping was a big enough bacterial load that I could order my tetras and cory's online, and only pay that shipping fee once. I had planned on going a little slower, but we're stuck in our 2500 sq ft qt tank for the foreseeable future, besides my cory options are way better on the wet spot than anything local.
 

flyinGourami

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,533
Reaction score
3,196
Location
My house
Experience
Just started
faydout said:
I'm cycling (fishless) now. Just wondering why this is? I'm not going to stock my tank till I'm processing 4 PPM ammonia, which I've been hoping was a big enough bacterial load that I could order my tetras and cory's online, and only pay that shipping fee once. I had planned on going a little slower, but we're stuck in our 2500 sq ft qt tank for the foreseeable future, besides my cory options are way better on the wet spot than anything local.
The reason why adding many fish at once is a problem is because it can disrupt the cycle and the tank might crash. The bacteria in the filter only processes the amount of ammonia that is in the tank. If some fish get removed, the bacteria amount will be less. Because of that, adding too many fish at once might harm the cycle since the bacteria in the tank cannot process that much ammonia; it must build up. One way to avoid this is to slowly increase feedings(not TOO much, but a little) so that your tank gets used to processing more ammonia. Because it has processed more ammonia, the day you get the new fish do a water change to lower nitrates. When you add the fish, don't feed for a few days(since fish will generally still poop even if you don't feed them), monitor the water(which is something I don't do since adding too many fish at once has never been a problem for me), and you should be fine. I know my reply is kind of confusing, but I hope it helped:)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
Tambo79

Tambo79

New Member
Member
Messages
34
Reaction score
11
Gel0city said:
What do you mean "start the tank"? I assume it's already cycled, so six panda corys should be fine. Just don't add too many fish at once in the tank. Learned that the hard way :(
Yeah it’s cycled...sorry! Thanks for the input!

bgntoc said:
Yes, although some people say corys need older tanks. I would start with the danios if possible, but I believe the corys should be fine. I say this since danios are hardier and if anything were to happen as long as you do water changes they should be fine. Corys are a tad bit more sensitive, but if you really want to start with them, you should be fine as long as the tank is cycled.
Right now nobody has the Celestials in stock and nobody is ordering anything either. So it’s the Pandas or what till god knows when? The Petsmart close to me has a ton but won’t sell any fish. There’s one a little further away and they only have 2 left. Is 2 enough for them to do well till I get more?
 

flyinGourami

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,533
Reaction score
3,196
Location
My house
Experience
Just started
Tambo79 said:
Right now nobody has the Celestials in stock and nobody is ordering anything either. So it’s the Pandas or what till god knows when? The Petsmart close to me has a ton but won’t sell any fish. There’s one a little further away and they only have 2 left. Is 2 enough for them to do well till I get more?
Yes. 2 is perfectly fine for a while.
 

flyinGourami

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,533
Reaction score
3,196
Location
My house
Experience
Just started
Tambo79 said:
I was able to get 4!
Congrats! They are so cute haha. Yaya. 4 is better than two, as they are schooling fish so that's awesome! Hopefully the parameters will stay stable and you will have an awesome tank :)
P.S. Thanks for posting the pictures!
 

jake37

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,607
Reaction score
1,560
Keep them at 76 and don't over feed and things should go well. Panda are nice little corys.
 

Gel0city

Well Known
Member
Messages
714
Reaction score
741
Experience
3 years
Tambo79 said:
I was able to get 4!
Congrats! Love your panda corys :) I recently increased my number of albino corydoras to 8 (from 4) and the difference of their activity is amazing!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
Tambo79

Tambo79

New Member
Member
Messages
34
Reaction score
11
Thanks everyone!

These guys are TINY and they are very shy. When I go sit on my couch they are ALL over the place. Up, down and across the tank.
 

flyinGourami

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,533
Reaction score
3,196
Location
My house
Experience
Just started
Tambo79 said:
Thanks everyone!

These guys are TINY and they are very shy. When I go sit on my couch they are ALL over the place. Up, down and across the tank.
Lol. I think its cuz they are new. My corys are still a little shy but not as much :)
 

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,340
Reaction score
2,795
Location
South Texas
Experience
2 years
I recommend to quarantine any new fish added to the tank from now on.

Even a 5 gallon bucket, adjustable 50w heater and a cycled sponge filter pulled from the main tank will work. Even better, try to find a bare 10 gallon tank for QT.

Quarantine for at least 10-14 days.

This will drastically reduce the chance of introducing into Ich or other disease into your 90g.

Having to perform large and frequent WC's in a 90g to fight Ich would not be fun.

Also, you may have to order online new stock for your tank.

Check out the Aqua Huna website. Cory from Aquarium Co-Op posted a fish room tour of the facility on their YouTube channel

Their prices for fish and s&h is very reasonable, and they have a good guarantee on their fish arriving and staying alive
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
Tambo79

Tambo79

New Member
Member
Messages
34
Reaction score
11
Islandvic said:
I recommend to quarantine any new fish added to the tank from now on.

Even a 5 gallon bucket, adjustable 50w heater and a cycled sponge filter pulled from the main tank will work. Even better, try to find a bare 10 gallon tank for QT.

Quarantine for at least 10-14 days.

This will drastically reduce the chance of introducing into Ich or other disease into your 90 gallon.

Having to perform large and frequent WC's in a 90 gallon to fight Ich would not be fun.

Also, you may have to order online new stock for your tank.

Check out the Aqua Huna website. Cory from Aquarium Co-Op posted a fish room tour of the facility on their YouTube channel

Their prices for fish and s&h is very reasonable, and they have a good guarantee on their fish arriving and staying alive
Thank you!
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
131
Guests online
2,247
Total visitors
2,378

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom