55 Gallon Tank Can I start a Buenos Aries Tetra group ?

Drew 43920

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am a 60 year old semI experienced fish guy. I inherited a 55 gallon tank with 3 Buenos Aries tetras and a pleco. I have decided to have a Buenos Aries tank. With Corys, MTS and maybe some shrimp. Can I start a BA tetra group.
Drew

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm pretty sure you can start a social group, is that what you're asking
I've been looking for the instructions as to exactly how.
I'm sorry I haven't found it yet.

Try this:
On the Tool Bar at the top under Quick links, towards the bottom, do you see Social groups?

OP
Drew 43920

Drew 43920

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I mean.............

Lucy said:
I'm pretty sure you can start a social group, is that what you're asking
I've been looking for the instructions as to exactly how.
I'm sorry I haven't found it yet.

Try this:
On the Tool Bar at the top under Quick links, towards the bottom, do you see Social groups?
I mean like:
Fish Lore Tropical Fish and Aquarium Forum > Freshwater Aquarium Fish Forum > Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates > Tetras> Buenos Aires Tetras
Drew

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh I see....a category for them.
I'm going to move this thread to the Announcements/Suggestions section of the forum.
I'm sure Mike will see your post and let you know.

OP
Drew 43920

Drew 43920

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
OK. Thank you

Lucy said:
Oh I see....a category for them.
I'm going to move this thread to the Announcements/Suggestions section of the forum.
I'm sure Mike will see your post and let you know.
OK.Thank you. I did start a BA tetras social group and I will fool with that for a while.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cool.

pepetj

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey Drew! glad you decided to keep them.

In a 55gal you could have a good-sized school of Buenos Aires Tetras, say 12 of them. Consider the small-sized corydoras, like a group of 6 Bronze or Panda. Since you are going for planted tank, consider a trio of Apple Snails instead of the MTS (Malasyan Trumpet Snail) for the sake of your plants.

Buenos Aires Tetras will likely look more colorful as they mature. They get to 3", as far as I know. They are considered semi-aggressive but I bet they will look great as the main species in your tank.

If possible, I suggest you upgrade your substrate to Eco-Complete, 2 bags of 20lbs would do it for a thin layer substrate in a moderately 55gal planted. For ease of maintenance, I suggest hardy low light plants, like 6 small sized Anubias Barteri, a couple of mid-sized driftwood... I love planted tanks!

Pepe
Santo Domingo

OP
Drew 43920

Drew 43920

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Everything but the snails.................

pepetj said:
Hey Drew! glad you decided to keep them.

In a 55gal you could have a good-sized school of Buenos Aires Tetras, say 12 of them. Consider the small-sized corydoras, like a group of 6 Bronze or Panda. Since you are going for planted tank, consider a trio of Apple Snails instead of the MTS (Malasyan Trumpet Snail) for the sake of your plants.

Buenos Aires Tetras will likely look more colorful as they mature. They get to 3", as far as I know. They are considered semi-aggressive but I bet they will look great as the main species in your tank.

If possible, I suggest you upgrade your substrate to Eco-Complete, 2 bags of 20lbs would do it for a thin layer substrate in a moderately 55gal planted. For ease of maintenance, I suggest hardy low light plants, like 6 small sized Anubias Barteri, a couple of mid-sized driftwood... I love planted tanks!

Pepe
Santo Domingo
I have pretty much figured on doing all the things you mentioned plus some "caves".
Except for the snails. I could get a Apple snail but I am wondering why you are against MTS ?
Also do you suggest I remove the gravel ( a blue / green mix I think is ugly) before I put in the Eco-Complete ?
And if the plants are growing on driftwood is the Eco-Complete as necessary ?

Barbrella

Well Known
Reaction score
IF the only schooling fish you're going to have are these tetras, you could have a very large school indeed! With these nippy tetras, the more the better, since this way they can squabble among themselves without the same fish being picked on all the time.

I prefer MTS, since they mostly stay under the gravel and keep it clean and aerated. Apple snails will eat plants. Your pleco will take care of algae.

And if the plants are growing on driftwood is the Eco-Complete as necessary ?
No. If the plants are all on driftwood, you don't need a plant substrate at all. Some bunches of Java fern tied to the driftwood will grow into nice thick clumps that tetras love, plus the Anubias, as mentioned will look good as well.

pepetj

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
erratum:

I had a mental lapsus. My mistake: The info I gave on Malasyan Trumpet Snails as harmful to plants is actually about the Mystery Snail, which sometimes is misleadingly sold as Apple Snail.

Despite a few freshwater plants (e.g. Giant Baby Tears, Higrophila) they would eat as food, Apple Snails eat algae from most freshwater plants safely (e.g. Swords, Anubias, Anacharis, Hornwort).

Pepe
Santo Domingo

OP
Drew 43920

Drew 43920

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I like MTS.........

pepetj said:
erratum:

I had a mental lapsus. My mistake: The info I gave on Malasyan Trumpet Snails as harmful to plants is actually about the Mystery Snail, which sometimes is misleadingly sold as Apple Snail.

Despite a few freshwater plants (e.g. Giant Baby Tears, Higrophila) they would eat as food, Apple Snails eat algae from most freshwater plants safely (e.g. Swords, Anubias, Anacharis, Hornwort).

Pepe
Santo Domingo
Good. There is something about Apple Snails that I do not care for.

Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here ya go:

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors