Can i split a bottle of tss between 2 tanks? Question

1. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Our walmart only sells 1 size bottle of tss good for up to 20g I need to add it to a 5g ( my former QT ) I am moving my frogs to and a 7.5 g QT that im making from a sterilite bin . Can I use half the bottle in the 5 and half the bottle in the 7.5 since thats still more then it really needs ?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

You sure can.

3. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I'm sorry to have to disagree with Adam55 but...

It is always recommended to use the entire bottle of SafeStart in one tank. The reason being is that there is no guarantee that the bacteria will be evenly distributed through out the bottle (even with a through shaking). So while splitting a bottle between two tanks may work, you are increasing the risk that it will not work.

If you do try splitting the bottle, keep an eye on your parameters and be ready to start doing some water changes if things go bad.

4. frogfan Well Known Member Member

What if i added it all to 1 tank then split the water ?

I actually have 2 fully cycled tanks but the big tank dosent have any removable midia the carbon pouch is seald and rather then a sponge it has an insert that looks like a brush with a bunch of teeth on it i just stuffed some 100% polyfill in there but will that have enough bacteria on it saturday to use?
    The other tank i just put new midia in 2 days ago because the fiber carbon pouch fell apart

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

It's correct that the bacteria might not disperse evenly throughout bottle, but I thought it would still be OK because both tanks together are still under the dosing capacity for the bottle you have by almost 50%. I'd be concerned with your plan if you were splitting one 20-gallon bottle between two 10-gallon tanks. You're not. My point is you don't need‚Äč an equal distribution. But it's up to you.

6. frogfan Well Known Member Member

well that was my thought to since they are both under 10 the amount each tank revived would be sufficient . i think 20g worth of tss in a 5 or 7.5 g is like super over kill

7. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I think you'll be okay splitting it up. Just make sure you split it immediately after shaking. TSS is some good stuff. I added a bottle that treated up to 40g I think in a 29G tank. Within 7 days I switched to a 55g and moved everything, including the water, over to the 55g tank. My ammonia never went over .5, nitrites never over 2 after the 14 days and I only did 30-40ish% water changes every 7 days.

If your tanks are going to be on the low side of bio-load in the beginning, you shouldn't have any problems.

8. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Actually, it just increases the rate at which the tank will cycle, not really overkill. If you want to use just the one bottle, add extra biological media to the tank that you dump the whole bottle into. Wait a week after the tank cycle, then move the excess material to the other tank, seeding it. The net total of time will be less than if you try splitting the TSS between the tanks. Even better would be to seed the second tank with bacteria from one of the tanks you have in your profile and use the bottle in the one tank.

9. delta5 Well Known Member Member

You made me think of a cool idea. Have a small tank dedicated to raising BB on filter media. Use a goldfish to feed the BB.

10. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

I actually wouldn't recommend splitting the bottle, you never know how much bacteria you get even if you directly split the bottle in half. Even after shaking. Its impossible to overdose the stuff! I would recommend getting two separate bottles and shake them WELL, then dump them directly into the back of your filters (if you have a HOB filter)

11. frogfan Well Known Member Member

the 5 will house my 2 ADF since i have a bunch of guppy fry/ feeders going in the 10 they are currently in .The 10 is to big for the frogs they are flipping out and the 5 will be way to small for the dozen feeders i plan on getting. The 7.5 will be QT for 2 or 3 guppies im buying Saturday.

as for the feeders before anyone pitches a fit i am getting them from a store with a highly over crowded tank of feeder guppies ( not the same store im getting the pet guppies) the feeders will be kept as pets they are all around 1/4 - 1/2 in but can already see some nice colors in the males so i want to get some and try and rise them up to see what i get i dont expect them all to survive this stress but for 1.50$ for 12 its not exactly an investment the fish that do survive will be joining the other guppies in the 29 g when they are big enough