Can I Skip Testing For Nitrate And Ph Today?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by guppiesandpuppies, Jul 18, 2017.

1. guppiesandpuppies

guppiesandpuppiesValued MemberMember

Hi. Today, after testing for nitrite and ammonia, the ammonia result was 0 ppm (yay, since I'm cycling!) and the nitrite result said I needed to do a 50% water change. After those tests and the 50% water change for a 20 gallon tank, I'm exhausted. And I still have to rinse out and dry the test tubes. Can I skip testing for nitrate and pH today? Here are my most recent test results for this tank:

7/16/17
    Nitrate about 10 ppm
    Nitrite .5 ppm
    Ammonia .25 ppm
    High range pH 8.0
    pH
    GH
    KH

7/17/17
    Nitrate 15 ppm
    Nitrite about .8 ppm?
    Ammonia 0 ppm
    High range pH 8.0
    pH
    GH
    KH

7/18/17
    Nitrate
    Nitrite about 1 ppm
    Ammonia 0 ppm
    High range pH
    pH
    GH
    KH

The pH stays in the 8.0-8.2 range, always. The nitrate has been rising due to cycling.

2. Cheesearmada

CheesearmadaValued MemberMember

It s really up to you. I don't test my water everyday and I've been successful. If your cycle has been doing great up to now you should be fine. Once your tank is fully functional I would do once a week.

EDIT: Doing a test after water changes is probably better.

3. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

I would still test nitrate since you are still cycling, but since your PH is staying the same you are probably okay not doing PH every time.

4. Miaw

MiawValued MemberMember

If ammonia and nitrite is fine and I can't be bothered to test for nitrate I just do a water change. The test takes the longest because of all the shaking and is technically the most dangerous.

If ammonia and nitrite are zero you just know there is going to be nitrate.

I am a newbie though so, grain of salt ;) But everyone loves salt so it gets more confusing!

5. OP
    OP
    guppiesandpuppies

guppiesandpuppiesValued MemberMember

I think because, in my experience, nitrates go back to normal somewhat quickly after a water change and the result for them right after a water change would not show what it'll be like in a day or so, and my nitrates are nowhere near high, I'll skip both for today. I'm way too stressed at the moment, anyway, and I have to leave where I am soon. I'll be back tomorrow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice