Can I save this fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by DanB80TTS, Jul 11, 2015.

1. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

Pristella tetra, decided it wanted on the acrobatics team, flips, barrel rolls, you name it.
    other than that the fish looks normal.

I've move him to an uncycled 10 gallon woth ammonia at 0.25-0.50, nitrite and nitrate 0.
    I have added prime to the tank also to counter out the ammonia. So the fish is floating and was breathing, what is my next step?

my assumption would be swimbladder, I believe to treatment is peas but I don't have any on hand and I'm not sure the fish would even eat as it is laying on its side floating.

thanks for any advice

will be be testing the main tank water parameters today also as a sick fish needs investigation.

Edit: main tank test.
    ammonia 0
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 5-10 (all ppm)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  2. the planted guyValued MemberMember

I think you have done your best but its probably not going to make a huge difference, it could be the dreaded 'new tank syndrome'

3. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

You can try an Epsom salt bath, remove the fish to another container and dissolve approx 2 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon of dechlorinated water, let the fish hang out in there for 15-20 minutes then return to its tank. If it's bloat that's causing problems this should help some hopefully. Swim bladder disorders can sometimes be caused by a bacterial infection too which the salt bath wouldn't help with. Good luck! I hope he makes it!

To add, is there isn't a filter in the hospital tank you might want to at the very least add an air stone so there's oxygen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

@the planted guy, Oh I don't think it's new tank syndrome, the fish has been living in an established tank for a few mo this now, it is the Quarentine tank that is not established.
    @Bijou88, The tank it is in is running a sponge filter, the fish is still alive and I have just noticed its eyes look bubbled put some, does this lead to any further diagnosis?

I know he's just a $3 fish, but when I purchase a fish I'm vowing to take care of it and ensure I do the best I can for his or her life!

Edit: I have aquarium salt but not Epsom salt, would aquarium salt be beneficial?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  5. Bijou88

If his eyes are popping out a bit I would guess it's bacterial personally. Aquarium salt won't help bloat, just Epsom salt though it now doesn't sound like that's what's wrong. ..can you take a picture?

6. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Ipad camera is garbage, he's not just floating now though, he's moving about the tank kind of. Like I said the rest of the fish looks great, gills look normal too, but eyes deffinately buldging and a little red I think.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  7. Bijou88

Looks like pop eye to me, that combined with the vertical positioning I would guess it's bacterial and would try an antibiotic. :( Poor guy, I wish I had better advice, my cory who had this passed before I could do anything for him.

8. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

I moved him within an hour of seeing him like this, I had to test the tank this tank to see if it was safe enough to put him in. He seems a lot calmer now that he doesn't have a gourami trying to eat him, he is staying pretty vertical and looking for food on the sand.

I really hope I can save him, if not then at least I tried. So as for antibiotic, where do I get an antibiotic for a fish lol.

9. Bijou88

I see maracyn 2 recommended often, I've never used it though. I'm not sure where to get it, you might do some googling to find it.

10. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Update: fish is still alive, I have starved him for a few days now and have some peas. The eye swelling seems to have subsided but he still doesn't have control of himself. Have a pea thawing out to feed him to see if he is constipated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice