Can I Save This Cory?

bcsay720

I got a group of 5 peppered cories from my local PetSmart today to finish my school in my 29g. There were some that were in bad shape (they just got in from shipping today) that I specifically didn't want, but it took so long for the worker to catch them all that the healthy ones got mixed in with the not healthy ones. They're currently in a cycled 5g quarantine tank (and will stay there for a few weeks) with big fake plants so they can hide and no overhead lights. I use Prime as my conditioner.

The little guy has clamped fins and a small rip in his dorsal (I think that was from me netting him. Oops). He's breathing and looks around, but even when the other 4 came to check on him, he didn't move. I'll be checking on him regularly until I go to sleep tonight (mostly in case he dies so I can take him out ASAP). Is there anything else I can do to help him out? I really think it's a lost cause since he was already in bad shape at the store, but let me know if you have any advice.

Another cory did just bother him, and he wiggled out of hiding (his dorsal is even up a bit more in this picture, but he's still very inactive). It's not actually that bright in the tank. I edited the picture so he was more visible.

KayBee3

Unfortunately, sometimes the stress of moving from the pet store to your home can be too much for little fish like cories. There's really not much you can do at this point other than keeping the water clean and warm. I would turn the lights off completely, that might help him to feel more safe. And then just wait and watch. I really hope he pulls through for you.

bcsay720

KayBee3 said:
Unfortunately, sometimes the stress of moving from the pet store to your home can be too much for little fish like cories. There's really not much you can do at this point other than keeping the water clean and warm. I would turn the lights off completely, that might help him to feel more safe. And then just wait and watch. I really hope he pulls through for you.
Yeah, I figured that was the best course of action. I saw him snuffle around his spot a bit, but he settled back down. I'm hoping for the best. If he dies, I can't even return him tomorrow because I have parent-teacher conferences until 7:30 pm, so I'll just have a dead fish on my hands for to days...

You know what also probably didn't help? The worker SHAKING THE BAG vigorously while trying to double bag it. My heart stopped watching her do it. Poor babies.

KayBee3

Its horrible how some pet store employees treat fish. I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

bcsay720

It happens, unfortunately, but it hasn't happened to me in a while. I just feel bad for the poor little guy.

The2dCour

They tend to weed those employees out faster at my lfs. 2nd fish buying experience I came home with a danios with a brocken spine from the new guy netting. I never said anything, but he doesn't work there any more.

bcsay720

I've seen her here for a while. Very nice and has tanks at home. She knows her stuff, so I was so surprised when I saw her shake them.

Two other cories tried to engage the little guy in play, but he just let them bump into him a bunch of times without moving. He's still alive, looking around. He's just too stressed to do anything.

DoubleDutch

Crumble some food over te bottom.
Think it will be allright. They were probably handled even rougher before the employee did.

bcsay720

Great news: the little buddy snuggled with his friends last night and ate this morning. I think the stress is catching up with some of the other ones. Everyone should calm down after a few days, though. I'll just keep the water clean and the lights out.

bcsay720

Update: everyone looks happy and healthy. Color is good, fins are healing. The little guy is still much smaller and skinnier than the others, but unless he's staying still, I can't even tell which one is him. As long as they stay this way, they should all make it into the main tank in a few weeks!

KayBee3

So great to hear!!

bcsay720

So his dorsal fin is almost healed, but he got very lethargic again compared to the other four. Nothing seems physically wrong with him. Lights have stayed out. Water has stayed clean. They're fed in the same spot every day. I don't know if he ate today or yesterday (which is when I noticed him getting lethargic again). Hoping he makes it out the other side. If he does, though, I have a feeling he will just always be a weird fish. Sorry, buddy.

bcsay720

Update: I could not save the cory. I added the 5 to my main tank on Sunday. I woke up to find him sucked against the intake and dead today. Not sure if he got stuck and was too weak to get off or if he got stuck there after death. Either way, RIP baby cat. I've still got a whole school of healthy babies, which is good. Must have just been stress.

DoubleDutch

aww
bcsay720 said:
Update: I could not save the cory. I added the 5 to my main tank on Sunday. I woke up to find him sucked against the intake and dead today. Not sure if he got stuck and was too weak to get off or if he got stuck there after death. Either way, RIP baby cat. I've still got a whole school of healthy babies, which is good. Must have just been stress.
Awwwww sorry to hear

Mlou

bcsay720 said:
hate it when a fishie passes....

bcsay720

I feel bad for him. He was moving around more, but he still was really skinny and didn't interact much with the others. I didn't expect him to last long, but I expected him to last more than a day. It's of course right after my return policy for him ends, too. The other 7 are happy and healthy, and my two adults have adopted all the new ones as children.

Latest threads

Top Bottom