Can I Run Co2 At Night?

FishGeek117

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I’ve had a simple co2 system running for a few weeks now. I’m gonna be away for a few days and am wondering if I could leave my co2 running while I’m gone. I don’t have a solenoid valve or anything it’s just me simply turning the valve on and off. My lights are on a timer. I have someone who can feed the fish, but I don’t want them to worry about the co2 system. I do have an air stone and a circulation pump running along side the filter 24/7. So should I run it or keep it off for a few days?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don’t think you should run it at night. Think it’s only on when the lights are on.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Plants respire at night using O2 and producing CO2 so running CO2 at night could cause trouble ..
You would be better IMO leaving it off completely then leaving it on completely ...

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
No don't do that. Put the CO2 on a separate timer turning off an hour or two before your lights do so the remaining CO2 can be used up.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ystrout said:
No don't do that. Put the CO2 on a separate timer turning off an hour or two before your lights do so the remaining CO2 can be used up.
You need a solenoid to do that ..Op said no solenoid ..
They open the bottle daily I think which is risky enough IMO.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Do you have a drop checker? If so is it always green?

The fact that you have an air stone makes it very hard to even bring CO2 up to ideal levels, so I can't imagine CO2 at night being an issue at all.

aniroc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am too leaving for 10 days and checked my CO2. I will stop it. Drop checkers are yellow (don't know why, didn't do anything different, I am guessing that some CO2 bubbles are entering the drop's airspace) and my lights with build in timer, sometimes do not turn off, other times do not turn on....If lights do not turn on, CO2 can not be used by plants and will accumulate. It is safer to stop CO2. Plants will be fine...some algae here and there, no problem.

If you turn off the CO2, a good idea would be to take the diffuser out of the water.

FishGeek117

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the replies. I am just gonna leave my Co2 off. I will be investing in a solenoid when I get back. Ive decided to also lower the lights while I am gone to hopefully nullify some algae problems. I hope my plants will be ok. Especially my vals which are relatively new and are melting badly.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom