Can I Rinse My Sand In Segments Of Time? Question 

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I just got home to start rinsing my sand for my 20 gallon, but it’s already 9:40 and I’ll probably be heading to bed soon. Should I start rinsing right now and probably get a couple pounds cleaned or just put it off until the weekend? I was wondering if I could just wash it, put it in a different, larger bucket and then save that until I can rinse some more. Would that work, or would letting it dry defeat the purpose? I appreciate any answers!

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Rinsing sand is just to remove any residue or dust. It won't matter if you do it in batches.

It's still cold where I am so cleaning sand involves a bucket, a big wooden spoon, and towels, but if it's nice where you are you can make an outdoor hose to do the work for you.

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JenC said:
Rinsing sand is just to remove any residue or dust. It won't matter if you do it in batches.

It's still cold where I am so cleaning sand involves a bucket, a big wooden spoon, and towels, but if it's nice where you are you can make an outdoor hose to do the work for you.
Thank you so much for the help! Yes, since it’s dark outside I’ll probably going to use the sink for now, but hopefully I’ll have time tomorrow to go outside and use to hose. I appreciate your reply!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
dump it all in your tank ( assuming its a new set up ) let the sand settle overnight do a couple swipes with your net to pick up any large debris then get your filter going with a prefilter sponge and some polyfill filter floss or something and let that get the rest of the small sediments and then work on your cycle... Good luck!!

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The best thing to do is get a water hose and put all of the sand in a 5 gallon bucket and stick the hose clear to the bottom and let it run for a good hour.

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 said:
dump it all in your tank ( assuming its a new set up ) let the sand settle overnight do a couple swipes with your net to pick up any large debris then get your filter going with a prefilter sponge and some polyfill filter floss or something and let that get the rest of the small sediments and then work on your cycle... Good luck!!
Ah that’s a good idea too! Thank you so much for the suggestion. I’ve started rinsing now but I’ll definitely keep working on my cycle and I’ll make sure to tend to the filter! I really appreciate the help.

Jimmie93 said:
The best thing to do is get a water hose and put all of the sand in a 5 gallon bucket and stick the hose clear to the bottom and let it run for a good hour.
Oh really? I could definitely keep that in mind for my larger batch tomorrow. Would I occasionally dip some of the water out? Or just let the water overflow the whole time?

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Caroline J said:
Ah that’s a good idea too! Thank you so much for the suggestion. I’ve started rinsing now but I’ll definitely keep working on my cycle and I’ll make sure to tend to the filter! I really appreciate the help.

Oh really? I could definitely keep that in mind for my larger batch tomorrow. Would I occasionally dip some of the water out? Or just let the water overflow the whole time?
You let it over flow sand is heavy and will sink back to the bottom while the water pressure keeps mixing the sand and over flowing all of the dirt etc out.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom