Can i relax the water changes?

1201td

so i’ve been doing weekly water changes for a while, around 25% cuz my tank is cycled and i’ve been putting bottled BB into my tank (i just do water changes to keep my nitrates stable). anyways, i was just wondering if i can stretch it out to every 2 weeks since my tank is cycled. can i?

BigManAquatics

I wouldn't at that small of a percentage.

Dunk2

so i’ve been doing weekly water changes for a while, around 25% cuz my tank is cycled and i’ve been putting bottled BB into my tank (i just do water changes to keep my nitrates stable). anyways, i was just wondering if i can stretch it out to every 2 weeks since my tank is cycled. can i?
I’d actually increase your weekly change to 50%.

I can save you some money though. . . Stop using bottled bacteria. It’s unnecessary once your tank is cycled.

Azedenkae

Sure. I personally don't see a problem doing monthly or even quarterly water changes, provided parameters are still in check.

MacZ

Sure. I personally don't see a problem doing monthly or even quarterly water changes, provided parameters are still in check.
I wouldn't advise that blindly without knowing the setup (plants, filtration etc.), especially to a beginner with a freshly cycled tank. If the tank was well established, lightly stocked and decently planted, maybe, but without any info? I don't know...

1201td

I wouldn't at that small of a percentage.
ok thanks
I wouldn't advise that blindly without knowing the setup (plants, filtration etc.), especially to a beginner with a freshly cycled tank. If the tank was well established, lightly stocked and decently planted, maybe, but without any info? I don't know...
i forgot to mention i have 3 guppies and 4 neon tetras. would you still say it’s ok? or do you think i should keep up the weekly water changes.
I’d actually increase your weekly change to 50%.

I can save you some money though. . . Stop using bottled bacteria. It’s unnecessary once your tank is cycled.
it’s ok, i’m very paranoid so i’ll keep the bottled BB (i have gotten the advice to put it away if i’m not okay with spending money on something i probably don’t need) but thanks for the advice!

FoldedCheese

What size is the tank and what kind of filtration do you have?

StarGirl

I would bump it up to 50% a week myself too. Your cycle is too new right now for skipping water changes.

That bacteria really is not doing anything for you. You only need so much bacteria to eat the ammonia from your light stocking. Changing only water doesnt remove it.

I would use it if you stock more fish, do a filter clean or something like that sure. If you want to.

MacZ

i forgot to mention i have 3 guppies and 4 neon tetras. would you still say it’s ok? or do you think i should keep up the weekly water changes.
I think except in special setups waterchanges always have to be weekly. Just the stocking doesn't help. In a 30 liter no plants, hang on back filter, just cyled that stocking would warrant 50-75% a week. In a 100 liter, densely planted (and I mean all green jungle style), oversized canister filter and established for 2 years, every 3 weeks, maybe once a month, is absolutely fine.

What size is the tank?
Yes. Best with a picture of the tank.

jpm995

Nitrates are a good way of determining how often/much you change your water. It's not the only consideration though. Our water contains minerals and buffers in it that keep our ph steady and fish and plants healthy. Sadly we don't have an easy way to measure this or know how much is enough. It's probably ok to cut back a bit on the water changes just keep an eye on ph/nitrate and fish health and maybe every few months do a big water change. It's not an exact science.

kansas

The problem with fewer water changes is that you find out you're not changing enough water when your animals get sick.

StarGirl

When you do weekly water changes it keeps your tap and tank water closer to each other. There isnt as much of a shock from bigger parameter swings.

1201td

What size is the tank and what kind of filtration do you have?
im sorry i keep forgetting to include the details ‍♀️ 29 gallon tank, aqueon quietflow 20. 3 guppies and 4 neon tetras.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Coradee
  • Question
Replies
Views
V1K
  • Question
Replies
Views